News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Narrow gauge 2-8-2

Started by bob kaplan, January 14, 2012, 05:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

Bachmann's K's are a very nice engines.  i own two.  The realities of the economy should stop me from asking for this info....but i am a dreamer.

i would like to see another 2-8-2 released...inside frame, with a less distinctive Denver & Rio character.  Looked at pics of EBT (No. 12) and Uintah's (No. 40) inside frame engines.  Are those engines larger than the Denver Mikado.  Unfortunately i have a basement railroad with LGB curves 16000 and 18000.  Thus the engine would have to be comparable in size to the present Mikado.
  i do marvel at the way Bachmann has designed the Mikado to fit into the curves  If they were not designed as they are, i could not have purchased them....i do feel sorry for them as they snake through my curves.  But they do it without complaining.  Thank goodness the curves are almost hidden by scenery.

Sooooo....back to my question...are the Uintah's (40) and EBT (12) larger or smaller than the present Mikado?  And did any other narrow gauge run 2-8-2's.  Of course i would be happy with a 2-6-2 (EBT) as well!
  Thanks for the help.

Kevin Strong

The EBT mikes are nominally comparable in size to the D&RGW's K-27s and K-28s in terms of length and height, but are a bit narrower, attributed to being insdie-frame locos. EBT #12 is shorter in length than a K-27, but the larger EBT mikes had higher-capacity tenders which were a few fee longer. Personally, if Bachmann were to do an EBT mike, I'd love to see them do the largest mikes (16 - 18), since they haven't been produced yet. Of course, that would only make me want one of Rich Yoder's #15s even more, so I can have one of each class... On second thought, B'mann, how 'bout an obscure 0-4-0?

I can't speak to the overall size of the Uintah mike, but it looks to be similar in size to the EBT mikes, albeit with much smaller drivers. (42" on #40, 40" on #30) I'd imagine it probably sits a bit lower, but length and width would be comparable--still a bit narrower than the D&RGW mikes.

Other railroads that ran inside-frame 2-8-2s include the White Pass & Yukon, as well as the Sumpter Valley, and don't forget Uintah #40 came secondhand as well.

Later,

K

bob kaplan

A great deal of information there!!!....Thank you Kevin.
b

Mark Oles

Kevin, you forgot that they could also letter the proposed inside frame mikado for the Tweetsie Railroad and the Dollywood Railroad...

armorsmith

Not to mention, the WP&Y engines are still running on the tourist line at Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, TN.

Bob C.