News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Union Pacific Big Boy

Started by TrainmanHO, January 14, 2012, 12:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainmanHO

Anyone think Bachmann should make the 4004 Union Pacific Big Boy?

blwfish

Aren't there already two other Big Boy offerings? (Rivarossi for sure, Athearn?) Seems like they would be better off avoiding direct competition and offering something else.

uncbob

I think they should make the Allegheny and sell it for the price of their new Yellowstone

Not much difference in size and detail

The Rivarossi price is obscene

GN.2-6-8-0

Absolutely not!! there already is such a glut of those on the market that it would make no sense whatsoever...on the other hand that never stopped them before did it.  :D
Rocky Lives

Doneldon

I have to agree with GN. Just check ebay; I'll bet there are 100 Challengers from a dozen builders on any given day. Plus, new tooling and mechanicals could easily push a plastic loco into the price range of very nice brass models. I think Bachmann could spend their new product budget much more productively on any of a number of other locomotives.
                                                                                  -- D

uncbob

Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on January 14, 2012, 09:22:06 PM
Absolutely not!! there already is such a glut of those on the market that it would make no sense whatsoever...on the other hand that never stopped them before did it.  :D
Ain't much of a glut when the Rivarossi models go for $499 and check what the go for on EBAY
Glut would mean prices are low

uncbob

Quote from: Doneldon on January 14, 2012, 09:39:51 PM
I have to agree with GN. Just check ebay; I'll bet there are 100 Challengers from a dozen builders on any given day. Plus, new tooling and mechanicals could easily push a plastic loco into the price range of very nice brass models. I think Bachmann could spend their new product budget much more productively on any of a number of other locomotives.
                                                                                  -- D

Allegheny Not Challenger

RAM

I think Bachmann is smart enough not to make a bigboy or the Challenger.  Just to clear things up the Bigboy is a 4-8-8-4 while the Challenger is a 4-6-6-4

J3a-614

I too would say that a Big Boy or Challenger would not be a good choice for Bachmann because others do make these locomotives, and they are reported to be fine products.

At the same time, I think it should be considered a compliment to Bachmann that there are some people who think what Bachmann offers in terms of a total package of running characteristics, detail, sound options, and price would make them want a Big Boy or Challenger from this company.  I would be inclined to agree with them that this combination is currently tops from Bachmann, too. . .

MPSOUTHERN

I would like to see Bachmann do an N&W A 2-6-6-4,either spectrum or standard,with soundtraxx.The only ones I've seen are the ones BLI did.

ebtnut

I actually think a Challenger might not be a bad idea, especially if they offered it with appropriate details for the different roads that operated them - Western Maryland, D&H, Clinchfield, D&RGW, SP&S among others, along with the UP. 

Doneldon

Quote from: ebtnut on January 17, 2012, 03:50:38 PM
I actually think a Challenger might not be a bad idea, especially if they offered it with appropriate details for the different roads that operated them - Western Maryland, D&H, Clinchfield, D&RGW, SP&S among others, along with the UP. 

The situation with the Challenger is pretty much the same as the Big Boy: Too many companies have been making them for too long to leave much market unsatisfied. Sure, the Challenger was used by a number of railroads, not just the UP as was the case with the Big Boy, which broadens the potential market, but are there enough modelers who both want a Challenger and are able to run this monster on their layouts who don't already have one or more? I'm guessing no. And I feel pretty confident of that guess.
                                                                                   -- D

uncbob

Back in 98 I picked up a Rivarossi 4-8-4 at a train show
$150
Vendor had a box full of about 20 of them that he said he picked up as a special buy
Real bargain as they were about $250 on the market

uncbob

What small engines are left
Consolidation-- Mogul-- American-- Ten wheeler are all out there
Next step up Mikado and Mountain are all out there

For 4X8s The Mikado and Consolidation are good bets and served well into the end of steam

RAM

What small engines are left?  How about atsf 2-6-2.