qualified opinion required on BACHMANN DCC 280 starting problem

Started by kewatin, January 14, 2012, 10:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kewatin

i have a recently purchased    A BACHMANN DCC 2-8-0'that won't start to move until my KATO POWER PACK shows 9.3 volts on my volt meter. i have broken the loco in with suggested break-in times & even loosened the 2 screws on the bottom plate to see if it makes a difference,but to no avail. also i am under the impression that this loco will pull approx 15 to 20 cars on level track, mine pulls 3 riverossi heavey weight cars and thats about it. with 12 volts dc it is definately no speed demon, more like a turtle. no sign of binding.i think maybe a bad motor? i am of the mindset to send it back to bachmann but would like some imput from those whom know more tnan me or have experience with these type of problems. thanking you in advance for your replys,
REGARDS&LATER KEWATIN

seadowns

What exactly wrong is with this engine..........who can tell but there is of course something not in order.
If recently purchased I would return it to get back a working loco.

Regards
Mathi

mhampton

It sounds like you are trying to run your DCC locomotive with a DC power pack.  While that is supposed to be possible with Bachmann's DCC-equipped locos, there is a level of complexity there that isn't always spot-on.  I suspect that there is something wrong with the setup of the "dual-mode" DCC decoder in the locomotive.

seadowns

You may be right Mike, but this does not effect the pulling ability.
All of mine pull a bear and the 2-8-0 is wellknown for a good pulling power.

kewatin

KEWATIN here, yes at present i am operating on my new layout that is wired for dcc,also i have 2 other BACHMANN loco's a heavy mountain,&santa fe all dual mode which operate fine with no problems,maybe it could be a decoder problem,iwill await more replys before sending back my loco to the service dept for evaluation. thank you all for your replys.
regards&later KEWATIN

seadowns

Ok, I don't know which dcc central you are using but if it can handle CV values set the Value of CV8 to 8 or 33.
I'm not quite sure which value will reset the decoder but one of them works and will set back the decoder to the factory values on adress 3. With these basic values should each Bachmann loco work effective.
If the loco won't work better after reset it really is a mechanical problem in which I foremost believe.

Regards
Mathi

kiasutha

I'd also think there is some kind of mech issue,irregardless of possible decoder problems.
I don't have the DCC version,but my DC 2-8-0's will pull over 30 hoppers on the straight & flat with no problem at all.

kewatin

KEWATIN back to you
perhaps i am not being clear, so i will re state my layout is wired for dcc but at the present time iam using a kato dc pack wired to the dcc imput till i get my nce power cab delivered. also i have not touched the decoders in any way shape or form. after looking at various bachmann 2-8-0 connie stats etc i am convinced it should start to move with less than 9.4 volts according to my multi meter and it will only pull 3 standard size  passenger cars at  this voltage and speeds up slightly more at the full 12 volts. again all my other equipment dcc&dc run fine andthis is the reasoning for running dc  at the present so as to be in the game electrically &mechanically before going completely dcc and all turned out well, no issues track or electric.only problem is the bachmann dcc2-8-0. many thanks to all those that responded,it is a new learning cure for me as this is my first foray into dcc.
regards&later KEWATIN