News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Installing CDC decoder in 2-4-2Lynn

Started by whitepass, December 07, 2011, 11:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitepass

Mr Bachmann
What type of decoder do you recommend to install The schematic calls for NMRA type
Could you please tell me who makes one?
I have been using Massoth decodes in all my Bachmann engines with great success , but they are not 8pin . I would also like to install Phoenix sound
Please advise
Thank you

Kevin Strong

To my knowledge, no manufacturer has a specifically large scale decoder wired with the NMRA "standard" 8-pin plug. What you can do, however, is buy an 8-pin plug with just the wires, then attach those wires to the DCC decoder's terminals. Some use solder pads, some screw terminals. Pretty simple. I'd have to go and look to see what each of the 8 wires go to, but the NMRA has standardized the colors, so you can go by color to make sure the right wires go to the right places. (The NMRA's DCC standards are on their web site if the instructions that come with the decoder or plug do not tell you that information.)

To add the Phoenix sound, you'd need to tie the Phoenix sound board into the track inputs, and also feed the voltage going to the motor to the board. You should be able to tap off of them from whatever DCC throttle board you'd end up using. Or go with a DCC board that does both sound and throttle combined and save real estate.

Later,

K

Peter O

Once Santa lets me open it, I'll be installing a Loksound Select in my 2-4-2T.  I have the decoder and optional cable that should make it plug and play. I don't plan to run this loco with a large consist, so I'm hoping the peak/average amperage will suffice as Loksound is known for it's headroom and robust build. There's a 2-6-2T sound config which I will use so I think it could be a good match.

Stay tuned.

Peter.

whitepass

Thank you Peter
I will do just as you suggest , I will be installing Massoth decoder. It would be really handy knowing the pin assignments on the plug. I have run in to the problem that wire colour codes are not always reliable.
Looking forward to hearing from You.
Ota

Peter O

I'm using the Loksound optional wire harness, part # 51953.  It looks to me that loksound is following the standard color convention for the 8 pins. If you follow this link http://store.sbs4dcc.com/esu51953loksoundselectharness.aspx and click on the "larger image" link, it's very easy to see the pin/wire connections. For $5.50, it would probably make sense to get one of these and hack off the 9 pin end of the cable.

Peter

ACD134

Just thought I say I have installed a Loksound Select decoder in my Lynn, I have now just got to swap around some of the sound functions to my standard LGB/Massoth keys, The sound is good with the two brown wires soldered to the SP+ and SP- Terminals on the Locomotive mother board, the other two terminals go to the reed switch terminals on the Loksound unit and then change the CV for 4 pulses per revolution (still to be done)

The Only odd thing is hearing a Bell when I can't see one!

As for durability I sent the loco off round my 60 metre garden track at a reasonable pace with three wagons, and a steep gradient and I had no problems.

Andrew