News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

flex track

Started by gandy dancer#1, January 17, 2012, 10:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gandy dancer#1

HI: searched the board but could not find answer regarding mating of flex trak to bachman e-z track?? I am assuming should connect as long as flex is on road bed , cork ect , and is of same height as the bachman track???????
M.R.BURNS

Doneldon

gd#1-

Yes, that should connect just fine as long as your flex track is Code 100.

-- D

NarrowMinded

Yes it connects fine as long as you match the roadbed and you use Code 100 track or as others may mention rails joiners made to lift/lower the rail head to match. if your using EZ-Track on your layout I suggest using it on the sections obscured by hills or in tunnels.

Be aware when joining flex track on a curve it's a little hard to keep a little "kink" out of the rail where another piece of flex joins it,  I often over flex the rail so it holds a little curve, I am also one that likes to solder rail joiners, I will lay down a piece of track on a curve then solder another piece of flex on while its straight then continue laying the curve.

It's takes a little practice but it's not all that hard.

NM-JEff

Add>Darn Donaldon always posting while I'm still Typing...

rogertra

The best way to join flex track to avoid the kink is to solder two sections of flex track together, so you have a maximum six foot length and then bend that to the curve you require.

If six feet is far to long, cut one of the two lengths so that when the two pieces are soldered together they are 12 inches longer than the length of track required for the curve. 

Cut the straight track you have already laid, as you work towards the curve, a minimum of six inches back from the start of the new curve then join the now long length of flex track you've soldered for the curve to the straight you've just cut. 

Now lay out the curve using the long length of flex track.

Once you've laid the curve and eyeballed it for a nice continual curve, cut the end of the now long rail to match the short rail and fix down the curve. 

Now you can continue to lay more track and you have a nice smooth curve with no kinks.

As you can see, it's best if you leave the six foot length of flex as six feet because you'll need that track after the curve.  :)

Len

For what it's worth, I've found using 'O' cork roadbed with code 100 track comes closer to matching the height of the EZ-Track plastic roadbed than 'HO' cork does.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Doneldon

Quote from: Len on January 18, 2012, 08:57:33 AM
For what it's worth, I've found using 'O' cork roadbed with code 100 track comes closer to matching the height of the EZ-Track plastic roadbed than 'HO' cork does.

Len

Len-

Do you narrow the O-gauge roadbed?

-- D   

speeddemon5

...hello, i just wanted to mention a gadget i found on ebay that really looks as if it would work well for keeping a smoothe curve with flex track... they call it a 'radius tool'... kinda looks like a pantograph like architects use. it has pins that hold track as you work around curves. adjustable for radius size...hmmmm i may have saved that one in favorites... :)

Woody Elmore

Old school radius finder was to take a yard stick and carefully drill a hole through the thin edge. Into this hole place a finishing nail. Then you use tape to attach a pencil at the desired radius givng you a makeshift compass.. Worked every time - low tech.

However, beging a gadget guy, I'd probably spend money on a commercial radius tool.

jward

out here we still use the yardstick, but drill the hole for the pivot through the flat side and holes  for whatever radii we are laying out. a hole drilled at 1" serves as the place for the pivot nail, holes are drilled at radius plus 1" big enough to hold the pencil. thus, to lay out a 18r curve, the hole is at 19".  cheap, simple and effective.

it should also be noted that ribbonrail makes metal guages which fit between the rails, and are available in a variety of radii. these help eliminate kinks and flat spots as you lay the track.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

Quote from: Doneldon on January 18, 2012, 11:26:28 PM
Quote from: Len on January 18, 2012, 08:57:33 AM

Len

Len-

Do you narrow the O-gauge roadbed?

-- D   

It depends on the mood I'm in at the time. I just use 12 to 18 inches of 'O' roadbed, then switch to regular HO roadbed. I use some sandpaper wrapped around a chunk of 2x4 to taper the 'O' cork down to match the HO cork, then vacumn up the mess.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.