News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann's NE Caboose - A Winner!

Started by Williamson, December 26, 2011, 11:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Williamson

The new Bachmann NE Caboose is an amazingly good model! Body mounted couplers, window glass, and good ride height!

Compares favorably to Atlas NE-6 (except Atlas got the lettering correct!)

Overall, a great model, especially for the money. The Andrews trucks (incorrect for N&W) look to be an easy swap (couplers are body mounted). The stove pipe needs "adjustment". The roofwalk is molded in, but looks nice.

A few more views from my el cheapo camera:

The WM Version:

They even tooled the floor surfaces on the end platforms (ie they aint just smooth like on the GP7).

Happy Holidays (where applicable)

Mark

cjjd6901

;D

I agree.  My Western Maryland caboose is beautiful.  It was definitely worth the wait.  I will need to order several more-a Western Maryland Red/White/Black would be great.  Another nice touch was an original number from previous production runs.

Thank you,

:)  Chris
Christopher Dunphy

Williamson

Hey Mr. Bach Man,

How about a steam era version of the WM scheme next? The owners of your beautiful WM 2-8-0's would probably be happy to have a correct caboose!

WM late steam era scheme:

from here: http://www.railroad.net/articles/railfanning/northeastcabooses/index.php

The circus ones would sell well too! 8)

Thanks for listening!

Mark

jbgormley

I just got my WM and it looks great, but why no end windows? Also would like other numbers and please do some in the circus scheme. It's a great looking caboose. Thanks

skipgear

Quote from: jbgormley on January 07, 2012, 10:59:49 PM
I just got my WM and it looks great, but why no end windows? Also would like other numbers and please do some in the circus scheme. It's a great looking caboose. Thanks

The prototype that the caboose is based on didn't have end windows. The N&W and WM are somewhat stand ins. They used a different variation of the body in real life.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

daniel_leavitt2000

I will be picking one up at the Springfield show. Looks like I will have to toss my old Life-Like vans. I really like the fact that they tooled up an Andrews caboose truck, which has never been done before. They used the wrong wheels - 36" instead of the correct 33" sets, but these can be swapped out with older Bachmann or Con-Cor metal wheels that seem to pile up everywhere. The thin treaded Con-Cor wheels look especially nice on the car.

I'm still trying to figure out why this wasn't sold as a Spectrum. Its as good as anything Atlas or Micro-Trains puts out. Maybe not quite as nice as the Athearn bay window, but its literally half the price.

Williamson

Quote from: daniel_leavitt2000 on January 09, 2012, 07:40:22 AM

I'm still trying to figure out why this wasn't sold as a Spectrum. Its as good as anything Atlas or Micro-Trains puts out. Maybe not quite as nice as the Athearn bay window, but its literally half the price.

Not quite as good in terms of lettering, but the tooling is nearly as good. The N&W scheme has major errors and I heard some comments on the MEC color.

A tremendous value nonetheless (I have two of them!).

I added 33" wheels to mine and correct trucks to the N&W one (the trucks on the N&W one raised the cab a bit, will need to lower it):

No more "bigfoot" look! ;)

This may be of some interest - Accumate couplers swap right in. ;D

Mark