For Bach-man: Connie 2-8-0 broken drive or final gear instructions?

Started by etjensen, December 01, 2008, 07:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lqdsky

I believe I paid around $25 for the complete axel with the gear.

Dave

I paid $19nz last year for the Gear,axle and Wheels.  Its real easy to fit,just be gentle with the small parts.

Dave
                    Waikino
                     New Zealand

petertoot

hi,regarding the axle,gear,bachmann sent me one for nothing,as i live in aussie,maybe just lucky,but an easy fix for a great loco,good luck,i agree 50.00 is way to much,is any after market people making the axle gearassy,check it out,peter :) :)

ChrisB

I payed 15 pounds uk including postage from the uk HQ. Actually I bought 2 as I want to have a spare...........

jebouck

Quote from: petertoot on February 04, 2009, 03:16:45 AM
,is any after market people making the axle gearassy,check it out,peter :) :)

Barry's Big Trains is on the verge of introducing a replacement drive.
I will wait for that.
jb

CustomRCmodels

I purchased 2x 2-8-0 Consolidations within just a few months apart and run them for just a few hours and both showed that busted final gear .
I did not read all these countless posts about the same issue , but to me it sure looks like a common issue . Therefore instead of ordering the same plastic gears again ( or the complied axle with gear ) I decided to search for a metal gear and found some .
I am in the process of installing them now .
Of course I could not find a direct replacement , it's actually a motor pinion gear from R/C cars and it required some re-machining.
It will be a while before I end up running them again to test this setup ,
but I will post here again to let everyone know if it worked out or if something else gets busted now .

to some of you kit-bashers , does anybody has a spare lower gearbox cover ?
since I had these 2-8-0's apart since a long time , I misplaced one of the lower gear-box-covers .

to the Bachmann , can I get ( purchase ) a lower gear-box-cover for the 2-8-0 ?

Willy
CustomRCmodels
Willy
CustomRCmodels

the Bach-man

Dear Willy,
Contact the service department to see what they have available.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

Barry BBT

The better alternative to the Bachmann gear is to order a replacement gear from NWSL part number 2226-6, $12.95 plus shipping.  Machined in Delrin, should last a long time.

Final alternative is to order my motor and gearbox kit, customer install only.  A little more, but warranted for life (mine for as long as I live).
Oh, $200.00, plus $10.00 shipping.  New Pittman motor.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

marshallcates

I have had  the drive Axel gear on both my spectrum 4-6-0 and Cornie crack and separate under very minimal use. Bachmann's solution appears to be a new Axel and wheel and gear set , but even that they are out of stock.  I sure hope the NWSL site works.  On the Mogal I was able to reinforce the gear with copper bands so now it is operational, but not the Cornie.