Fixing the spot light on a Bachmann Amtrak M of W flat car

Started by bhouck, January 19, 2012, 12:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhouck

I am new to this hobby and still getting my feet wet. I recently acquired a few cars in various states or disrepair, fixing of which has become a project. One of these cars is an Amtrak M of W car. I couldn't find a specific part number but it is a silver flat car with an orange shed built at one end and what looks to be two rows of tool boxes in the middle section. At the opposite end is a working spot light centered directly over the truck's pivot pin.

My problem is that the truck and spotlight were disconnected from each other. The spotlight spins loosely in its molded cradle. The truck has metal wheels and on each side of the pivot pin is a thin, narrow copper lead. One of the leads is a little longer than the other and it bent in an "L" shape. The other is shorter and straighter.

I would like to put this back together but if I just push it altogether, the spot and the truck do not make contact. I am hoping that there is a way to finagle this array back together but I need some help in  the way of a description or a diagram to do it. Thanks!

Jerrys HO

The copper leads are your pick ups for the light. The one that is shorter seems to have broken. You can either call the service dept. and see if they are available or fix it yourself. I have included a link that may help you with the broken wiper.

http://www.55n3.org/cars/tender_wipers/

As far as the light not attached to the car I believe they snapped on and off.  If you can post a few pics it may help. Someone here probably has a car like that and can help further.

You may have to glue the spot light in a permanent way or do a little modifying to get it functional again.

Jerry