Bachmann GP38-2 New England Central

Started by smuggler, January 26, 2012, 04:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smuggler

I just purchased and received a Bachmann GP38-2 New England Central locomotive, stock number 61711, from an online retailer. The locomotive was advertised as DCC but I see nothing on the box or the inside literature to indicate anything about DCC. I am just beginning to build a layout so I don't have a means of testing the unit. Can anyone tell me if I just bought an analog unit that was incorrectly described as DCC?

Jerrys HO

smuggler
All and all I have seen that have DCC onboard usually have DCC stamped under the fuel tank. You can pop the shell off and check also. If you can not find anything on the loco that is DCC you may have been smuggled. :D

Jerry

kpsdjs

Hello,

My research shows it as "Analog" DC only. Many on e-bay say "Analog"

Looks cool.

Kelly

Jerrys HO

Looks like Kelly is correct. All the ones I checked are all analog.

smuggler

Guess I'll have to contact them because this is how they advertised the item:

This is the HO Scale New England Central GP38-2 Diesel
                      Locomotive (#3848) by Bachmann®.
                        Suitable for Ages 14 & Older.

FEATURES: 8-wheel drive
          E-Z Mate Mark II couplers

INCLUDES: One DCC New England Central GP38-2 Diesel Locomotive (#3848)

SPECS: Scale: HO 1/87

tlc 12/19/11

– If you need more information, use these Bachmann resources – Web Site: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/
Phone: 215-533-1600
   Postal Address:
Bachmann
1400 EAST ERIE AVENUE
PHILADELPHIA, PA 19124 

mhampton

Bachmann's own ad on this site (http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3685) does not say "DCC Equipped" or "DCC Ready."  It does, however, say it's "New" so it may well be at least DCC ready.  Yeah, contacting the seller is definitely in order.

the Bach-man

Dear Smuggler,
It is indeed an analog loco.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

richg

Quote from: the Bach-man on January 26, 2012, 10:21:17 PM
Dear Smuggler,
It is indeed an analog loco.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

A quick search of the Product Information page for 3848 show what is a DC loco. Nothing about DCC.
The Diagram info page shows they look "nearly" the same except for a digital PC board in the DCC ready one.
The Diagram for the DC only "appears" to have a isolated motor as the motor wires go directly to the PC board. Just not digital.
A good chance the NCE BACH-DSL decoder would fit in this one. The link will show you the decoder and there is a manual you can download and study. This decoder has been specifically designed for the Bachmann diesels.

Rich

smuggler

Thanks for all the info. I'm not ready to attempt a decoder installation at this point so the company has agreed to take back the loco and refund my purchase. They're also going to correct the description on their website which they claim came from Bachmann.

richg

Quote from: smuggler on January 27, 2012, 11:38:34 AM
Thanks for all the info. I'm not ready to attempt a decoder installation at this point so the company has agreed to take back the loco and refund my purchase. They're also going to correct the description on their website which they claim came from Bachmann.

Nice to see this response. Sounds like a good company to deal with.

Rich