News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Colours of Oil Drums

Started by Jim Banner, July 20, 2007, 03:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Banner

Does anyone remember what colours oil drums were?  I am talking about the steel 45 gallon drums (55 gallon drums in the US.)  I remember Imperial Oil painted theirs red with the middle third painted white.  But I cannot remember the colour of the ends.  I think maybe the contents were stencilled in red on a white end (or was it stencilled in white on a red end??)  I also seem to remember green drums with a white centre stripe, and think they might have been Texaco.  But I am hoping someone has a better memory or can direct me to a website that lists the colours of steel barrels.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

SteamGene

Jim,
U.S. Army painted theirs O.D. with white lettering.  :D  I think you are right about Texaco.  If you look in the Walther's catalog under superdetailing you will find a page for a guy who makes detailing parts, including six-ten different oil company drums. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Bojangle

Jim:
We get Conoco drums here at the ranch, the motor oil drums are black, the hydraulic oil is brown so we don't confuse them. Lettering is white, cautions yellow.

Bo

ebtbob

Jim,

I think the entity that Gene is referring to is JL Inovations.   They offer packs of drums painted to different colors.   I am not sure if they do generic stuff or real company drums.

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

r.cprmier

There is a company-and for the life of me, I do not remember who it is-that manufactures cast resin stacks of drums-among other things.  These stacks come both unpalinted and really weathered to the nines-a touch away from becoming complete rust and pollution factors (don't let the DEP see your layout with these on it) and do really add a touch of weathering that I have found hard to beat!
They also make stacks of tires, gas cylinders, etc. 

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

mlt1

Hi Jim,

If you're talking about current day colors, 76 Lubricants uses black drums, white ends, and labels on side and top end between bung caps.  Labels are white background, black lettering and have the 76 logo on them (orange ball with blue 76 in it).

Jim Banner

Thanks, all, for the info.  And Rich, I would love it if some of the people who I used to work with at Environment Canada came and saw the various piles of rust, oil spills, acid mine waste, and stands of dead trees scattered about my layout.  Did you know that Envirotex with some black paint and a bit of brown paint mixed in makes lovely oil spills?

Maybe I should modify the service station scene to include a rusty and obviously leaking storage tank being pulled out of the ground, spilling even more gas as it is lifted.  Or a tank truck dumping some greeny black stuff into a drainage ditch.  How about a back yard auto wrecker next to a steam filled with old tires and showing steaks of oil.  That would really get to them!

I hasten to point out that the oil barrels are for my garden layout, which, other than my dogs' contributions, is pollution free.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

SteamGene

Jim,
The by product from dogs makes wonderful fertilizer.  It's not a pollutant unless it winds up on the sole of your shoe.
I can't remember his name, but a guy who apparently raced cars with Paul Newman put a model of a heavily polluting plant named for Paul Newman as a spoof on the strong envioronmental stand that Newman has made over the years. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"