News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Compatability?

Started by CascadeLark, January 23, 2012, 02:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CascadeLark

I'll get to the point of my inquiry, I'm planning on buying either a USRA Light 2-10-2 or EM-1, 2-8-8-4, But I don't like the tenders they're pulling, So are the aftermarket DCC Ready Vanderbilt Tenders DCC connectors compatable with the above locomotives?

jonathan

CL,

Bachmann no longer produces the Long Vandy Tenders.  However, they are available on line, if you shop around.  The market is full of them right now, which is why Bachmann has stopped production for the moment.

I would not recommend switching out the EM-1 tender.  First and foremost reason is the EM-1 never ever ran with anything other than the rectangular tender that is already included.  Second, while the plugs and draw bar connection may be compatible, the running characteristics may be alterted to unacceptable levels.

If vandy tenders are your thing, one can still find, on the internet, the 4-8-2  Mountain, Spectrum C&O version, with a long Vandy Tender.  This is a wonderful locomotive, pulls and runs very well.  I have seen this loco, new in the box, at the most recent train shows I've attended.  I already have two Mountains, otherwise I would purchase one of these.

Don't know about the 2-10-2.  Others may.

Regards,

Jonathan

rogertra

Quote from: jonathan on January 24, 2012, 06:29:40 AM
CL,
Second, while the plugs and draw bar connection may be compatible, the running characteristics may be alterted to unacceptable levels.

Not true.  Unless the tender physically fouls the locomotive in some way, the tender has absolutely no effect on the running characteristics of a locomotive.

CascadeLark

I think the EM-1 Bares a likeness to the AC9, and making the EM1 look like an AC9 would not be all that difficult.

I have been looking for the Mountain, but on eBay, By the time I get ready to bid on one, the price has risen so high I can no longer afford it. But I keep on trying.

Anyway, my focus was not on how it would look, But on whether or not would the dcc connectors fit or not!