News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmann power pack

Started by flintlock, January 25, 2012, 10:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintlock

I need a new power pack for my layout and I was offered the bachmann 46605A power pack W/ speed control. Will this handle a large layout. I have at least 125 ft of track ? I run at least 2 diesels in consist with 20 to 25 cars.

Len

If you're double heading with two powered locos do yourself a favor and, at a minimum, get an MRC 1370 power pack. It has an 18VA rated output, the typlical train set pack is rated 7VA, and can easily handle two powered locos on the front of a long train.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

flintlock

What would be the best power pack I could get?

Len

"Best power pack" is very subjective. What I might consider best for my layout may be totally different than what someone else considers best.

For what you described you were doing, the MRC 1370 will do the job and won't break the bank. It gives you the basics - 300 degree speed control know, power on/overload indicator, On/Off switch, fixed AC accessory output, and variable DC track output, and a 5 year warranty. If you're using conventional DC operation with blocks, you might want two to allow for two operators.

There are more expensive power packs out there with additional "bells and whistles", e.g., momentum, a built in reversing loop output with it's own direction switch, built in volt/amp meters, etc. But if your looking for something that will power a 30 car train with two older Athearn F-units with open frame motors at the head end, the MRC 1370 will do it.

Just use plenty of power feeders for 125ft of track.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.