News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lionel 675

Started by Bill Baker, January 25, 2012, 02:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Baker

I have a Lionel 675 steam locomotive which is listed as a K4 Pacific.  Unfortunately it is a Prairie with a 2-6-2 wheel arrangement.  I'm trying to locate a 4 wheel truck arrangement to change it into a true 4-6-2 Pacific.  Does anyone know a manufacturer that offers a 4 wheeled pilot truck that may fit the 675?  I've checked eBay for months and unfortunately the only items close to that are 4 wheel trailing trucks in which some of these sellers think it is for the leading trucks. needless to say they don't fit.

Thanks for any advice, Bill
Bill

phillyreading

Lionel has parts numbers for what you are looking for. Example; a front engine piece could be part # 675-3, and wheel set might be 675-5.
I suggest looking by the Lionel part number, so you don't buy the wrong part.

Lee F.

DominicMazoch

There was an article in CTT about such a conversion.  Actually, Lionel lists the K as a K5, 2 expermentals of the PRR which did not work out.

Bill Baker

Lee,
Thanks for the parts number clue.  However when I search"Lionel" I get only retailers that sell Lionel.  Know of any other websites?

Dominic,
Thank you also for your response.  What or who is CTT?

Sorry to be so amateurish about all this, but I just got back my old train set when I was a kid from my cousin and I'm trying to update and modify some things.
Bill

phillyreading

CTT is the abreviantion for Classic Toy Trains or www.classictoytrains.com then go to S & O gauge train section, then go to forum section, click on community to get the forum section to pop-up.
It is free to register on CTT.com
Hope this helps you!

Lee F.

r0gruth

I don't think Lionel ever made a four wheel leading truck that would fit the 675.

To use a four wheel truck on it would take some modifications.

I vaguely remember an article in Classic Toy Trains magazine on doing this modification.
Roger

DominicMazoch

How about WBB coming up with their version of it?  You make the Baldwin Disck wheels for the Berk.  Just make a mold of the body!  W used to be called williams REPRODUCTIONS, Ltd!

phillyreading

Williams Reproductions used to make copies of previously issued Lionel engines with permission from Lionel Corporation, they did not make any parts for previously issued post-war Lionel.
As for what part may fit your 675 engine, you would do good to go to train shows and see a Lionel parts dealer for the part you want. Or find somebody who has parts from the now defunct Madison Hardware, as M. H. used to sell all kinds of Lionel parts.
Look at the so-called Baldwin Disk wheels real closely, does it have Baldwin stamped on it or Williams? Whatever name is on it will tell you who made it. Lionel used to get Baldwin to make the drive wheels for some of their pre-war steam engines and some post-war steam engines.

Lee F.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

The following links access pdf files of the Lionel service manual for the 675:

http://pictures.olsenstoy.com/675-47.htm

http://pictures.olsenstoy.com/675-52.htm

Page 1, sentence 1 states:

"Lionel No. 675 Locomotive is an adaptation of the Pennsylvania Type K-5 passenger steam engine,

differing from it principally in having a two- instead of a four-wheel leading truck."

If you are a Classic Toy Trains magazine subscriber, you can access this thread:

http://cs.trains.com/TRCCS/forums/p/74925/901100.aspx

The CTT January 1999 issue has 3 articles on the Lionel prairies, including the conversion to a "True Pacific" by Charlie Beavens,

using a Lionel four-wheel pilot truck #3100-21.  Metal must be cut away from both the old steam chest and the new pilot truck.  

http://s837.photobucket.com/albums/zz296/joebarb/  (See pacific1, pacific2, and pacific3)

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik  

Edit: Add photobucket link.
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

DominicMazoch

I don't need the parts.  I wish WBB would make a complete NEW unit.  I think there would be a demand for this engine!