Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Overweathered

Started by GoCanes, January 26, 2012, 05:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoCanes

Desertdweller

Nice looking caboose!

Let me suggest another method.  I like using artist's acrylic paints.  You can get a faded effect by choosing a color close to the color of the car (a little lighter).  This this with alcohol or a mix of alcohol and water.  Brush on this thinned paint in vertical strokes.  Let each coat dry before applying the next, to gradually build up the effect.  When doing this, coat the entire car, including any lettering or heralds.  If you study the actual cars, you will find the base color bleeds over the lettering.

This method only creates faded paint.  You still need to add the rest of the weathering over this.

Les

Steve Magee

Another variation on a theme as given by Desertdweller is to use a VERY dry brush technique over all of the car. Choose as similar a colour from Floquil/Scalecoat/Pollyscale (or whatever) and - I repeat, using a VERY dry brush - scrub it over the car. Direction of brushing doesnt seem to matter that much.

To get that VERY dry brush, dip the end of the brush tip into the paint, then scrub it onto a clean paper towel or clean rag until it looks like its all gone. Then apply it to the model.

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

GoCanes

Quote from: Steve Magee on January 31, 2012, 08:26:28 PM
Another variation on a theme as given by Desertdweller is to use a VERY dry brush technique over all of the car. Choose as similar a colour from Floquil/Scalecoat/Pollyscale (or whatever) and - I repeat, using a VERY dry brush - scrub it over the car. Direction of brushing doesnt seem to matter that much.

To get that VERY dry brush, dip the end of the brush tip into the paint, then scrub it onto a clean paper towel or clean rag until it looks like its all gone. Then apply it to the model.

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

That's how I usually do it

CNE Runner

Wow...another cache of great ideas! I knew the talc was the 'dulling' agent in Dullcote; but also suspect humidity to be a contributing factor. In the restoration of fabric-covered aircraft, one must be careful spraying 'dope' when the humidity is high as it will cause 'blushing'...a similar look to my Dullcote/alcohol fiasco.

Love the look of that caboose. I guess I'll have to dig out the old airbrush and do some experimenting. The other suggestions are super - and I plan on bookmarking this thread for future reference.

Thanks,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

GN.2-6-8-0

Next day did my N&W crummy,,note the windows were not masked.....they would accumulate the same dirt as the car body also it helps hide the lack of interior details.

Rocky Lives

GoCanes

Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on February 01, 2012, 12:27:23 PM
Next day did my N&W crummy,,note the windows were not masked.....they would accumulate the same dirt as the car body also it helps hide the lack of interior details.

Now that's some good stuff. 

Maybe a couple streaks of dirt/grime sloping down the roof in places?

NarrowMinded

Here's a Caboose I did using the technique I mentioned

Sorry it's an Iphone picture.

And here'sone of  the examples I used, this model will sit abandoned on a spur

NM-Jeff

rogertra

Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on February 01, 2012, 12:27:23 PM

Nice work.  :)

rogertra

Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on January 30, 2012, 10:46:49 AM
Here's a crummy i did yesterday ,simply a light overspray of Pollyscale Dirt,trick is to not get carried away,some do and the next thing you know you can't even read the road name on them. merely need to clean up a couple of the windows and darken up the smoke stack for that sooty look and a touch of rust on the couplers and its good to go.

I'm a big fan of well done weatheing and all I can say here is "Nice weathering job."  :)