A 10'x10' room... and an online layout plan.... suggestions welcome!

Started by mdmeyers1982, January 20, 2012, 11:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdmeyers1982

Ok guys

Christmas is over, and I have put away my holiday set-up.... for now... and I still have the urge to build. I have been looking around online for a few weeks now and have found this layout plan that I feel would be a good fit for the spare bedroom that is available to me.

Here is a link to the layout I want to try and set up (with my own altercations of course):

http://layoutvision.com/id56.html

I plan on doing a 60's-80's theme with Diesel loco's and shorter style box cars and oil cars... nothing too long... so I can keep the radius of the track around 18-22"

Also, I want to do an over/under in this layout with a mountain side and a climb area where the train will rise up over a tunnel (not sure if this makes sense)

I have a bedroom which is roughly 10'x10' with a doorway at one corner and a closet that is not used at the opposite corner. here is a pic of that area:

so any suggestions are welcome.... I'm not sure if I want to use EZ track or Flex track yet... I have to figure that out after getting some online input. I want to convert to DCC, but I still need to read up on it as well.... the local hobby shop in my area actually has a very nice Union Pacific Diesel that looks pretty close to the one that runs down MoPac here in Austin Texas... I think I may pick it up soon.

Anyways, just wanted to check in... I'll be sure to upload progress pics in the near future.

Cheers!
-Mike

rogertra

1)  Use quality HO code 83 flex track and not Code 100 EZ Track, you'll never regret it.

2)  Use 24" radius minimum curves, the larger you can fit the better, you'll never regret it.

3) Unless it can't be avoided, use number six turnouts, you'll never regret it.

4) DO NOT use a 4 x 8 or larger solid deck benchwork, you'll never regret it.

5) Build an around the walls layout, 12 to 16 inches wide or so, you'll never regret it.

6) Use DCC, you'll never regret it.

7) Pick a prototype and stick to it, don't have a variety of locomotive road names, you'll never regret it.

8) Pick an era and stick to it (No 4-4-0 steam along side a GM SD90MAC), you'll never regret it.

That's the best advice I can give.

jward

above all, have fun. you'll never regret it.

seriously, it you intend to build this layout, or any other, use SOLID construction. you can overbuild a table and have no problems, but an underbuilt one will frustrate you for the life of the layout. use good materials. cheap wood can warp, and plywood that is too thin will sag.

what roger said about curves is true, but bear in mind there is always a compromise between the layout you want and the available space. don't let too large of curves keep you from building what you want. 18r and #4 switches will work if you use smaller cars and locomotives. another thing to keep in mind is that just because you have a minimum radius it doesn't mean all curves must be that radius, or that you can't have a curve of say half 24r and half 36r. experiment a little with track layout when you have the table built and the track available, before you fasten anything permanently.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

mdmeyers1982

Thanks for the replys!   ;D

few more questions:

1. Flex track... I have pretty much sold myself on using this. However, I was at a hobby shop the other day and found some and while bending it, I noticed... the rails shorten/lengthen... how do you connect this stuff?? I know this may sound like a silly question, but do you have to physically cut the metal part of the track at all?

2. I am going to go to DCC.... I plan on running 2, maybe 3 engines MAX on this set.. moving them around with the switches etc... what is a good, affordable DCC controller to get me started (that will work with the flex track) ??

3. I found this engine on Ebay and really like it, it looks like the one that runs down MoPac here in Austin:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bachmann-HO-Scale-Train-Diesel-GP35-DCC-Equipped-Union-Pacific-743-60713-/200692135850?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item2eba2ef7aa#ht_2752wt_766

what era is that considered?

rogertra

I forgot two things.

1)  Use that unused closet for staging, you'll never regret it.

2) As jward wrote, "Above all, have fun, you'll never regret it!"

rogertra

Quote from: mdmeyers1982 on January 21, 2012, 01:49:04 PM
Thanks for the replys!   ;D

few more questions:

1. Flex track... I have pretty much sold myself on using this. However, I was at a hobby shop the other day and found some and while bending it, I noticed... the rails shorten/lengthen... how do you connect this stuff?? I know this may sound like a silly question, but do you have to physically cut the metal part of the track at all?

2. I am going to go to DCC.... I plan on running 2, maybe 3 engines MAX on this set.. moving them around with the switches etc... what is a good, affordable DCC controller to get me started (that will work with the flex track) ??

3. I found this engine on Ebay and really like it, it looks like the one that runs down MoPac here in Austin:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bachmann-HO-Scale-Train-Diesel-GP35-DCC-Equipped-Union-Pacific-743-60713-/200692135850?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item2eba2ef7aa#ht_2752wt_766

what era is that considered?

1)  How to lay flex track?  Buy a book on how to lay track.  Don't Know of one? Google is your friend, you'll never regret it.

2)  You don't need special throttles to run on flex track nor EZ track nor any track.  I'm not a DCC expert but avoid the Bachmann cheapos and buy the best you can afford, you'll never regret it.

3)  Era?  Only you can answer that.  Pick the time period with the equipment that interests you the most and stick to it and under no circumstances mix eras no matter how appealing it may seem at the time.  The question is, do you want a model railroad, or a collection of toy trains?  If you want a model railroad, pick an era and stick with it!  You'll never regret it

richg

Below is a link for many scales. There is one for N and HO scale. Even if you see one for another scale that you like, scale up or down to fit your room.

http://www.thortrains.net/

Rich

rogertra

Quote from: richg on January 21, 2012, 02:20:50 PM
Below is a link for many scales. There is one for N and HO scale. Even if you see one for another scale that you like, scale up or down to fit your room.

http://www.thortrains.net/

Rich

Excellent suggestion Rich.

uncbob

Quote from: rogertra on January 21, 2012, 03:40:17 AM
1)  Use quality HO code 83 flex track and not Code 100 EZ Track, you'll never regret it.

2)  Use 24" radius minimum curves, the larger you can fit the better, you'll never regret it.

3) Unless it can't be avoided, use number six turnouts, you'll never regret it.

4) DO NOT use a 4 x 8 or larger solid deck benchwork, you'll never regret it.

5) Build an around the walls layout, 12 to 16 inches wide or so, you'll never regret it.

6) Use DCC, you'll never regret it.

7) Pick a prototype and stick to it, don't have a variety of locomotive road names, you'll never regret it.

8) Pick an era and stick to it (No 4-4-0 steam along side a GM SD90MAC), you'll never regret it.

That's the best advice I can give.

As far as 8 goes as long as you don't have conflicting trains/rolling stock  on the layout at the same time and eral type cars etc as part of the scenery you can rotate trains and be happy

ebtnut

I would also suggest picking up a copy of the new Model Railroad Planning mag from you LHS (or order from Kalmbach).  There's so pretty good stuff in this edition that might aid in your planning process.

DaveMFnC

I'd say check out the Heart Of Georgia Layout plan, just make it 1 foot by 2 feet larger and you're set.
Getting back into the hobby, one guitar sale at a time ;)