Walk-Around Companion Slow Reaction

Started by Knud, January 28, 2012, 07:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knud

My DCC locomotives react very slow to my new walk-around companion. I need to turn the control knob back and forth, until something happens. When I slowly turn the knob to zero or even change direction without turning the knob the locos just keep on going.

The reaction is perfect to the control center itself.

Does somebody has a clue what is wrong?

jward

i'll take a stab at it.

this reaction of the locomotives is similar to what i've noticed on dirty track. something is interfering with the decoder's ability to read the dcc signal so it operates on the last command it understood until it gets another one it can read. in my case, the track was dirty enough to corrupt the signal but not dirty enough for the locomotive to stall out.

in your case, you've stated that the command station itself is sending out a readable signal. therefore, i would checque the wiring from the ez command to the walkaround companion. try cleaning the plug in contacts with tv tuner spray and see if that helps.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Knud

Dear Jeffrey,

thanks for your reply - now here is my story.

I acquired the control center in 2003 and the walk-around companion much later in 2008 in Shanghai, where I also live at the moment. Now the local Bachmann shop found that the control center from 2003 actually is not compatible with the walk-around companion that was only available some years later.

They sent the control center to their shop in Guangzhou where the circuit board was replaced without any charge. Now both unit work together fine, and I am certainly delighted about this kind of after-sales-service.

Knud

Ken G Price

knud, Glad to hear that it worked out for you.
DCC is a lot more fun when it's working correctly, ;D
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/