News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tidmouth sheds

Started by Narrowgauge111, January 28, 2012, 03:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narrowgauge111

Hello all, :) :) :)

I am in the process of making a Tidmouth sheds "area" on my layout, and I am having a hard time finding photos for reference. I can find photos of the sheds and the surrounding sidings, but i need photos of the surrounding area, like if I were standing in one of the berths, what would i see when i looked out? sorry if this is worded odd :P

branmas

Maybe this one will help:

Narrowgauge111

That helps a little, I was looking for an outside view, i see some offices and various buildings around the area, I just need a good idea of what to do. Thank you for the photo thought, I have built the siding in the picture, and plan to add the building in the distance

RW James

Here is a view looking toward the Tidmouth shed. If you look closely at the signal box, the sign on it says "Tidmouth"

Regarding what is behind the camera... First, if you look at the lower left of the photo you will see the "edge of the world". Second, this is the same signal box used outside the Knapford station, only in those photos it says "Knapford".
Here's another shot of area from a slightly different angle:

And finally, a shot of the same signal box looking the other way:

The thing is, we are modeling a moving target. It changes from one episode to the next. I think the best you can hope for is an idea of what Tidmouth may have looked like. In the Railway Series, Tidmouth was the main city. In the TV show, some of that was moved to Knapford, and some to Brendam.
Rick

thomasj219

The last one is the signal box at Knapford not Tidmouth.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

branmas

It's what the Tidmouth one looks like Mirrored.

RW James

Quote from: thomasj219 on January 31, 2012, 11:13:15 PM
The last one is the signal box at Knapford not Tidmouth.
You're right!

Of course, if you had actually read the text you would have know that I had said that, which was the point of my post.

Thanks for playing...
Rick

thomasj219

Right but you never stated that the station is not in front of the shed in the show, he may have thought that was where Knapford Station is in relation to tidmouth sheds, he wants an accurate model im sure, so I figured I should make that plain.

RW James

Quote from: thomasj219 on February 01, 2012, 01:22:01 AM
Right but you never stated that the station is not in front of the shed in the show, he may have thought that was where Knapford Station is in relation to tidmouth sheds, he wants an accurate model im sure, so I figured I should make that plain.
Sorry - didn't mean to come off so harsh. I have had a similar problem and it can be so frustrating. I am trying to build the Knapford Station site and have collected dozens of photos. The background has changed greatly over the life of the show.

So I really think we need to capture the spirit of the scene and not worry too much about specifics. The show's modelers never worried about such things. They often used the same details for different scenes - such as the signal box in Knapford and Tidmouth (I even have a photo of the same model on the OTHER side of Knapford). They also used the same station canopies from Knapford on the Tidmouth Station - a nice idea if you are planning on building the Tidmouth station, you could use parts from the Bachmann model.
Rick

Narrowgauge111

It also helps to know what season you are modeling after. If you notice, the "sheds" location starts as a sort of a collection of sidings, with an actual line running past on the far left, and in the newer seasons, it turns into a dead end yard.

thomasj219

It's fine and I suggest for a more complete view you look at the TRAINZ layout of the station. When my full layout is complete Knapford will be there full force, luckily the track plan hasn't changed too much over the years.

Stepney the 'Bluebell' Engine

I built a Tidmouth sheds using a Vollmer kit, it's a nice detailed model, but i still have yet to find a free space to add it.

It's been painted to depict the classic Tidmouth Sheds with the 6 original loco bays, am looking at getting a Turntable for it, possibly either the Bachmann motorized table or a Dapol plastic one to motorize myself. :)
"Bluebells Forever!" - Stepney the 'Bluebell' Engine
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Blog: http://theworldofthomasmodelling.blogspot.com/
The Forum: http://worldofsodor.proboards.com