Good News About Improved Die Cast Sergent Couplers for S Scale (and On30)

Started by railtwister, January 12, 2012, 09:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

railtwister

Hello Everyone,

I just received this note from John Degnan via the Proto64 Yahoo Group. It looks like the improved, die cast version of the Sergent coupler in S scale is a go, finally. This is good news for On30 modelers as well, because a scale coupler in 1/64 will work out to a 3/4 size coupler in 1/48 scale. This coupler design is quite popular in HO scale because it has an accurate scale profile, doesn't use a visible spring on the knuckle, and is magnetically operated without the non-prototypical looking piece of curved  wire hanging below the coupler head.

Regards,
Bill in FL

QUOTE:

I believe the following e-mail that I just got from Frank Sergent will put to rest ALL fears that S scale may never see a new-and-improved S scale Sergent Engineering coupler!  It might do quite a bit to RAISE the anticipation level as well...

Hi John,

The convention in Chattanooga sounds very interesting – especially since its only a 90 minute drive for me.

I got a lot of good information from S scalers when you relayed my concerns about the SHS manufacturing issues. What was very interesting was that at least half seemed to be interested in narrow gauge (Sn3, On30, or On3). I think I'll miss the boat if I don't address their interest as well, so I think a Sharon coupler would be a better choice than a type E coupler. The Sharon coupler would be accurate for most narrow gauge as well as steam era standard gauge, but not so much for modern equipment. If the Sharon turns out to be a success, I can do the type E later. Anyway, that's what I'm thinking right now.

The August date for the convention will be difficult. My toolmaker is very busy right now as I'm moving some of the HO stuff from investment cast to diecast. The investment cast stuff is a real pain to manufacture so I'm looking at diecast for the S scale coupler as well.

I'm curious what your plans are for your box design. I'm not crazy about doing a injection molded box for the S scale coupler, but I think I'll probably be pushed in that direction – unless of course that is something you want to take on. I am looking at doing a tool with swappable inserts to create different style shanks.

That's pretty much where I am...

Thanks,

Frank

So there you go, folks!  We are definitely getting a new S scale Sergent coupler... TWO new couplers, in fact, if we play our cards right!

Looks like my new draft gear box will become a reality as well.  More news on the RE-development of this coming soon.

John Degnan
Scaler164@comcast.net

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

END QUOTE

Patrick Durand

Can not believe this topic has gone without some comment.   I for one would welcome the S scale Sergent coupler for use in my ON30 modeling.   I currently have 11 On30 locomotives and about 20 pieces of rolling stock that would get the full treatment of draft gear and couplers if they become available.   

The one reason I have not been more active in kit bashing my locos to more closely match Alaskan Prototypes, from the  Tanana Valley Mines Railway, the WP&Y, the Wild Goose,  and Yakatat and Southern was the lack of decent looking couplers.   

Please do encourage the development and production of the Sergent  s scale couplers for use in On30.

Also encourage Bachmann to go back to the lab and come up with a new compound to eliminate the split gear nonsense, or start producing gears in brass even if they generate a little noise.       I believe the failed gears are manufactured and installed in a humid environment and when stored in a warm dry environment shrink and crack.   If you think these compounds are dimensionally stable, think again, even teflon left exposed to humidity will absorb moisture and swell.   In any event this has been an ongoing problem and deserves to be addressed as a priority.

On some of the larger gears I have been removing the damaged gear from the shaft, reaming it out and replacing it on the shaft with lock tight or !CC-2000.  About 50% of the time this seems to be a lasting fix.   The other half end up getting new gears that I ream out before install.  I use a long tapered reamer and remove just enough material that the gear is a smooth running fit on the shaft with no force needed to place it.   Wash everything in denatured alcohol to remove oil and grease and apply the lock tight or ICC-2000.

Patrick Durand

S. Calloway

I did not know about these couplers,and I too would change over all of my engines and rolling stock for a more accurate looking coulper.(ET&WNC) I hope we hear more about these in the near future!     Dwayne