News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

sound

Started by poppyz, January 26, 2012, 11:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppyz

I have Bachmann GP40,GP38-2 and a FT-A All are DCC controlled. What I was wondering is if there are sound decoders available for each of them and would a sound unit fit in these locos.Has anyone done this? your input is appreciated.

Doneldon

pop-

Yes, you can add sound to your locomotives. You have two options: One is to add sound only with something like the SoundBug from MRC. A better alternative, I think, is to replace the existing DCC decoder with a motion and sound decoder. Your locos are of excellent quality but they won't operate up to their potential because the Bachmann factory decoders aren't full-featured (for example, they don't have back EMF). You can significantly improve your motion control at the same time that you enhance your package with sound.
                                                                                    -- D

Jim Banner

Quote from: Doneldon on January 27, 2012, 01:53:59 AM

... the SoundBug from MRC ...
                                                                                    -- D

I believe the SoundBug is from Digitrax.

I have only used SoundBugs with Digitrax decoders designed to work with them.  Has anyone tried them with a different brand of decoder, particularly a Bachmann decoder?  Is there a problem with functions overlapping?

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

CNE Runner

Someday - when my 'ship' comes in (and assuming the dock hasn't rotted away) I want to send my GE 45 Ton locomotive away and have its speech problem cured. [So many projects...so little funding.]

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Doneldon

pop and Jim-

Of course Digitrax. I'm not thinking clearly since we got new twin grandbabies
earlier this week. How much do you wanna bet I can turn both of them
into model rails, even Alexis?
                                                  -- D

Rangerover1944

Look here sound decoders for $41.00 speaker included, also the site gives you step by step install instructions with pictures for an easy install.......
http://www.tonystrains.com/products/digitrax_decs_sound.htm

jward

some thoughts on tha above decoder. keep in mind these are my opinions. take them as you will.....

first off, i looked at the decoder mentioned. it mentioned the sound files are for "generic" diesel and steam. given the amount of work that would go into installing this decoder in a gp40, and the fact that i live in an area where gp40s were common as mud, generic isn't going to cut it for me. especially not when for about $15 more you can get a sound decoder with sd40 sound files, which would also be accurate for a gp40. or the fact that for the cost of the gp40 and sound decoder, you can get accurate sound equipped alco diesels from bachmann.

second, i was unable to find any instructions on that site, or any others i've visited, for installing a sound decoder in either the ft or gp40. i feel there is a good reason for this. both installations will require cutting away part of the chassis to make room for a speaker. which i noticed is not included in the price of the decoder. this is certainly not a project for a newby. even i, with 40 years in the hobby, would be hesitant about this one.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

uncbob

Quote from: jward on January 29, 2012, 07:12:41 PM
some thoughts on tha above decoder. keep in mind these are my opinions. take them as you will.....

first off, i looked at the decoder mentioned. it mentioned the sound files are for "generic" diesel and steam. given the amount of work that would go into installing this decoder in a gp40, and the fact that i live in an area where gp40s were common as mud, generic isn't going to cut it for me. especially not when for about $15 more you can get a sound decoder with sd40 sound files, which would also be accurate for a gp40. or the fact that for the cost of the gp40 and sound decoder, you can get accurate sound equipped alco diesels from bachmann.

second, i was unable to find any instructions on that site, or any others i've visited, for installing a sound decoder in either the ft or gp40. i feel there is a good reason for this. both installations will require cutting away part of the chassis to make room for a speaker. which i noticed is not included in the price of the decoder. this is certainly not a project for a newby. even i, with 40 years in the hobby, would be hesitant about this one.

I 100% agree
Getting the speaker mounted is the big problem

Maybe putting it in a freight car that is immediately behind the engine would work but you would need 2 wires from the sound decoder to the freight car

Rangerover1944

Quote from: jward on January 29, 2012, 07:12:41 PM

If you scroll down a little further you'll find the sound for gp 4o for a little more money you can purchase a smaller speaker any speaker that 8 ohm will work, check out the speaker sizes and shapes.

Here is the instructions with photo's for the install it's from the same site tony's exchange.

http://www.tonystrains.com/download/dec-installation-hout.pdf

scroll down to page 17 and it is the gp 40.

I was a bit intimadated to even take the shell off a loco to even plug in a decoder let alone convert one from scratch, but today it's a piece of cake after you've done a few even isolating a motor is not such a big deal now, but it takes time to learn and follow instructions and some patience.
Sometimes it is cheaper to buy it already installed. Good Luck and have some fun.

As someone else posted you're better off buying a dual motion sound decoder, you can't do much of anything with the Bachmann decoder, I don't think there is an 8 or 9 pin plug for sound to make a simple plug in. Have you removed the shell to see?

jward

looking closer at the link you provided, it is an n scale atlas gp40, not a bachmann ho one. the decoder is a plug n play one without sound, not a sound decoder. there is a world of difference between installing a non sound drop in decoder in a locomotive, and installing a sound decoder in a locomotive where you have to mill the frame. adding a decoder to a locomotive is relatively easy, adding the speaker is not.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA