News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-0 Mogul wont run.

Started by Bris Biker, January 28, 2012, 06:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bris Biker

Hello to everyone I am a newbie from Brisbane Australia, hope someone can help I recieved a new but damaged 2-6-0 Mogul from a US dealer I have decided to keep this loco after much discussion after cleaning I put it on the track it will not move foward or back just sits there making a loud clicking noise and revving, it rolls freely when you push it by hand and the side rods move. the ash pan also lights up any ideas and help would be great it is part number #81498 thanks Greg.

Loco Bill Canelos

Your loco has a broken or stripped gear.  Since this is new you must seek an adjustment from the seller or a replacement.  If you can do your own repairs, you can open it up, find exactly what is wrong the get the needed parts to repair it yourself.

Best of luck!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Bris Biker

Thanks Bill I have taken the bottom plate off to see the motor is there a removable cover for the gearbox or do I have to remove the side rods to take out the whole unit and yes I did get compensation it is such a nice loco and with the hassle of returning it I decided to keep it I think I can repair it myself if told how regards Greg.

Loco Bill Canelos

I honestly can't answer, and mine is in storage.  Hopefully one of our smart mechanism guys will chime in on this.

Bris Biker

Hello does anyone have photos about replacing the drive gear thanks Greg.

Sleeping Bear

Don't have a 2-6-0 nor do I have pictures the area in question...but from the parts diagram, http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/G816X-IS002-2_CHASSIS.pdf       it looks like the side rods need to come off to get the gear box out and the wheels may need to as well to disassemble it.    Hope this helps....Later All.....S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

Bris Biker

Hello everyone I am really stuck now have started to pull apart to replace gear have everything apart how do I get gearbox out do I have to remove axle I can lift up whole gearbox and wheel assembly have taken off side rods what know? thanks Greg.

Loco Bill Canelos

Greg, I am sending you step by step instructions via personal message.  My instructions are not in final form, but should get you through.   Check your personal messages after 9 AM CDT USA.