News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

G Scale Car Part Exchange

Started by Old Dragoon, January 29, 2012, 09:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Dragoon

Can anyone tell me if I can exchange the top of a Denver & Rio Grande Full Baggage Car with the top of a Virginia & Truckee Observation Car (to make a VT Full Baggage car) without damage to either? I do not want to attempt this if the parts are glued or set in place to stay. I believe this can be done, but would like the advice from someone with the knowledge and experience. Thank you!

mhampton

Pardon me for asking, but aren't the letterboards part of the car side and not the top?  If that's the case, I don't think it will do you any good to try the swap.  If not, why not go ahead and attempt disassembly of one car?  If you run into something that won't come apart with the removal of screws, pushing a tab through a slot, or some minor flexing, stop.  If I recall correctly, there isn't much (if any) glue used in the assembly of most G rolling stock.

Old Dragoon

Thanks for your response. I am new to this hobby and as such, I am learning as I go. I cannot tell if they are part of the body or not. It seems as if the kits show them assembled as one piece. I may well try to disassemble one, but prior to attempting this, thought it best to ask someone who might have had some experience in doing so.

NarrowMinded

The G scale cars come apart with screws and snap tabs, including the roof, I don't recall any glue on anything I have needed to take a part.

NM-Jeff

Old Dragoon

Old Dragoon

Hi Jeff. I disassembled the coach car very carefully and you're right. It just snaps/fits together without any glue and the roof comes off with the sideboard names in place (one piece). Should work great. Thanks again!

NarrowMinded