News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

G scale great northern set

Started by Dannyj, January 22, 2012, 10:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannyj

I purchased a great northern g scale set. It is new in the box but no instruction. Anyone know minimum table size?

hvacal1

i think most of the bachmann sets have a 4'3" circle minimum if no staights are used.  then, for each straight (1 on each side) used add about 13 inches to the legnth and it would be 4'3" x 5'4" and so on.   it just depends on how many straights you have and are going to use to figure out how big the table would be.  the easiest way to get the actual size needed is to put the track together in a circle or oval on the floor and measure it with a tape measure if you plan on building a table and also add 3 or 4 extra inches on each side and end for the loco tuning in the corners.

Loco Bill Canelos

Your set 90031 was in he catalog from 1999 to 2002, and is a fabulous set.  The loco with the GN Green boiler and beautiful passenger cars make the train a real looker.

Look on the bottom of the box when you lift everything out, you should find the instruction comic book.  If you do not find the instructions your set is probably "not New in box", but a careful repacking. 

Your set should have 20 pieces of track 12 curved, and 8 straights.  Setting it up on the floor in the configuration you want and measuring the space is best.  It is easy to add a switch to make a siding.

Enjoy your set. 

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

A fairly well-off friend of mine had a 90031 Great Northern Passenger Set, but only as an "around the Christmas tree" item for his young family.   

(Gorgeous livery, IMO.)  I told him if he ever wanted to sell it, to ask me first. 

Well, his wife never really got that message, and decided one day that since the train had quit working,

she'd throw it (the useless Christmas decoration) in the trash, as its big box was taking up too much room in the closet.   

It's also possible she thought she shouldn't sell, or give as a gift, something not working. 

Well, I would have quickly had it running again. 

Ouch.

Lucky trash hauler. 

Sincerely,   

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.