News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Radius in O scale

Started by uncbob, January 29, 2012, 08:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uncbob

What is the largest radius track they make in O Scale ?

Kevin Strong

Probably have better luck asking this in the Williams forum. Most of us don't dabble much in the "small" scales. You'll also probably want to specify 2 or 3 rail O scale. I can tell you the "widest" radius sectional 3-rail track I recall seeing at the local hobby shop was 72" diameter (3' radius). Don't think they make 3-rail flex track--maybe Gar-Graves track can be bent to some extent, but I'm talking on speculation, not experience. In terms of 2-rail O scale, I know you can buy flex track for that, so you can go as wide as you'd like on your curves.

Later,

K

uncbob

I was asking because my buddy runs O Scale and he said his largest is 36" radius
Yet he has all the big articulateds and large passenger cars
They make make the turns but they look downright weird
I can't understand why they don't make larger radius since they make the real big engines and passenger cars

I have HO and know that an 18" radius would not be adequate for appearance even if the trains could handle the curves

Kevin Strong

Quote from: uncbob on January 29, 2012, 09:35:57 PM
...They make make the turns but they look downright weird ...
Er, yeah... We're the scale that has articulateds that fit around a 2' radius curve. Makes the O-scales stuff on 3' radius look downright pleasant.   :-\  Can't quite figure that big loco/tight curve mentality out, myself... I cringe when my K-27 rounds a 5' radius curve because I think it looks odd. But to each his own, I guess.

Later,

K

uncbob

A 2'( 24") radius in HO would be a 3.3 ' (43.5") radius in O scale

No way a 36 in radius in O looks better than a 24 in HO  for the same type engine

Chuck N

Kevn:

I have to agree, but once they get back on the straight they look fine.

Seriously though, over the last 15 years my new engines have out grown my layout.

I just close my eyes when they enter and leave the curves (5' radius).  

When I built my layout in 1994, that was the largest sectional curves available.  It is either rebuild the whole D**n thing or just say it's my railroad and I'll live with it.  I always recommend that when someone is starting out that they use the largest diameter (radius) curves that they can fit into the available space.  

And it is only on entering and exiting a curve that they look odd.  Once in the curve the visual problem disappears, sort of.

For me 10' diameter was a major step  forward.  My layout in Denver had two loops, one with LGB 1500 series curves (2.5' radius) and the other had LGB 1600 series curves (4' radius).  That doesn't include my cog train with LGB 1100 curves (2' radius).  

Fortunately back then the engines and cars were all shorter.

Chuck

Kevin Strong

Quote from: uncbob on January 29, 2012, 10:37:46 PM
A 2'( 24") radius in HO would be a 3.3 ' (43.5") radius in O scale
We're talking large scale, though--1:20.3, not HO. In O scale the equivalent would be a 10-inch radius! There's not enough tequila in Mexico to make that look good.

Quote from: Chuck N on January 29, 2012, 10:46:55 PM
Fortunately back then the engines and cars were all shorter.
Aye, there's the rub... When it comes to 1:20.3, I think 6 is the new 5. I've got one loop that's 6' radius, the other's 5'. You'd not think that would make that much of an aesthetic difference, but I think it's night and day. I keep threatening to broaden that one loop, but I can't figure out how to do it without eating up too much of the yard.

Incidentally, a 5' radius curve in 1:20.3 scales out to roughly a 60-degree curve--the tightest curves known to 3' gauge railroading, on the Uintah Ry.

Later,

K

tony@skippystrains

The longest radius in preformed "O" scale is 072.  Of course you could make that a little larger with GarGraves flex track or similar product.

Tony Fortunato
Skippy's Train Shed
Tony Fortunato / Skippy's Train Shed

phillyreading

72 inch curves is the largest that Lionel or MTH will sell pre-shaped.

To the best of my knowledge GarGraves makes a 110 inch diameter curve for O gauge, may need to be special ordered but they do make it. Also GarGraves makes O gauge three rail flex track, to do large radius curves with flex track you may have to cut some rail sections off after bending the curve to make it fit.
If GarGraves don't make it, there is another company who might make the track and that is Ross Custom Switches. Go to www.gargraves.com
With a little experiance you can make wider curves by cuttin 72 inch curves and adding a section of straight track between the two pieces of the curve track.

Lee F.

phillyreading

The GarGraves & Ross rails are differant than Lionel or MTH tubular track, so that means differant track pins or adapter pins to go to other styles of tubular track.
Ross Custom switches has more switch designs and they look more like the real switches than other brands.
GarGraves makes curves larger than what I used to know of, now they make a 138 inch curve. Also GarGraves makes a 100 inch curved switch.

Lee F.

DominicMazoch

Ross does make a "O-72" switch with tin track.

Len

3-Rail 'O' track sizes are normally given in "Diameter" rather than "Radius" like the 2-Railers. No idea why, it's just one of those things that is.

At any rate, Atlas-O makes 3-rail track ranging from O-27 out to O-108, with sizes increasing in 9-inch increments, e.g., O-27/O-36/O-45, etc., out to O-108. They also have flex track for larger size curves.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.