News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Make up your own Railroad?

Started by GoCanes, January 29, 2012, 08:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillyreading

Speaking about the EPA, they might make the RR museums close down the Pennsy GG-1's because of cancer causing oils used in cooling the electrical transformers inside the GG-1.

Lee F.

uncbob

They have one outside rusting away and one inside in great condition
How are those oils doing anything to anybody the same as the asbestos shields which I can't see how they were a problem

Desertdweller

The EPA has the authority to do things like that without due process, in the name of preserving public safety.
Apparently, someone in a position of authority thought there was an imminent threat to public health posed by asbestos insulation sandwiched between boilers and steel boiler jackets, or PCB's in oil sealed inside of transformers inside of GG-1's.

In my opinion, this is a political problem, not a health problem.

Les

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Desertdweller on February 21, 2012, 11:16:30 AM
In my opinion, this is a political problem, not a health problem.

Les

I agree. And a problem of bureaucrats who know how to apply rules but not how to think.

ryeguyisme

Quote from: Desertdweller on February 21, 2012, 12:43:45 AM
florynow,

I can generally agree with that.  But the 2101 itself was "kitbashed".  Reading built that whole class of Northerns out of 2-8-2's.

So, it is not like she had never been "messed with".

Les

***2-10-2's you mean right?

Desertdweller

We are both wrong.  The Reading built the T-1's out of 2-8-0's.

The boilers were extended, and they got new frames.

See "Classic Trains Special Edition no.10".

Les

phillyreading

Quote from: Desertdweller on February 21, 2012, 03:20:53 PM
We are both wrong.  The Reading built the T-1's out of 2-8-0's.

The boilers were extended, and they got new frames.

See "Classic Trains Special Edition no.10".

Les

The Reading T-1's were rebuilt from left over 2-8-0's at the Reading PA shops, on north 6th street, with parts help(driver wheels) from Baldwin Locomotive Works, Philadelphia shop. There was 30 of them built between 1940 & 46, roadnumbers 2100 to 2129. Another thing about the Reading T-1's is that they were made for use in the northeast and can go thru some areas where other 4-8-4's won't navigate due to excessive height or length.

Lee F.

GoCanes

I wonder if their are any tunnels, or hills/grades or train trestle overpasses in Florida, besides bridges over water?

Terry Toenges

Here's a cool site to get lost in for a while. It is a list of Florida bridges, some with pics. This is just Florida. There are others. I didn't see any hills.
http://bridgehunter.com/category/location/fl/
Feel like a Mogul.

GoCanes

Quote from: Terry Toenges on February 28, 2012, 12:45:14 AM
Here's a cool site to get lost in for a while. It is a list of Florida bridges, some with pics. This is just Florida. There are others. I didn't see any hills.
http://bridgehunter.com/category/location/fl/

Thanks, I'll check it out.  We have hills and mountains in FL, but I think it's easy for the trains to avoid them and thus have to make tunnels

bussy65

Our layout is based loosely (ever so loosely) on the London, Bristol & Southcoast RR. This line

existed in the early to mid 1850's before mergers, buyouts etc. We use this to accommodate my

wife's Dickens Village collection. More fun than old people deserve.

Jack

Desertdweller

Back when I was in college, I read an article in "National Lampoon" magazine titled "Worlds in Collusion".
It theorized that railroad companies used tunnels to turn the trains unbeknownst to passengers, in order to run them in loops and run up the mileage.

Might explain any Florida tunnels.

I rode a train down the east coast of Florida, and it looked pretty flat to me.

Les

M1FredQ

What I try to do is see what Williams or Lionel have available in lines that interest my son and I.
We try to concentrate on the midwest. But we have New york Central, Southern Pacific, I have a real liking for
Atlantic Coast Lines and Rio Grande. It makes this hobby a lot of fun!!!!!!!

phillyreading

I have bought some interesting trains at train shows or at local hobby shops. Bought a set of Reading Company King Coal passenger cars, have seen two variations on the passenger cars due to different years of production by Williams. The trucks have the differance in them, one has fixed couplers and the other has opening couplers.
Also have some MTH freight cars, as some things I wanted were made by MTH and not Williams or Lionel.

As for Florida tunnels, I have yet to see any other than a short span of a bridge that you go under.

Lee F.

rogertra

Quote from: bussy65 on April 01, 2012, 05:48:37 PM
Our layout is based loosely (ever so loosely) on the London, Bristol & Southcoast RR. This line

existed in the early to mid 1850's before mergers, buyouts etc. We use this to accommodate my

wife's Dickens Village collection. More fun than old people deserve.

Jack

Don't you mean the "London, Brighton and South Coast Railway"?  No such railway with your name.   :)