News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 4-4-0 exploded diagram

Started by efagyal, January 30, 2012, 01:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efagyal

I am looking for an exploded diagram of the spectrum 4-4-0 engine.  Specifically I need to see the wheel set assembly for the drivers.  I took mine apart to fix some wiring issues and replace the motor/gearbox assembly and now my wheels are out of gauge and I can't figure out why.  I don't think I left any parts out....but then you never know.  The website does not seem to have anything on it about this engine and the book that comes with the engine does not have enough detail for what I need.  Does anyone know if there is even such a diagram with this level of detail? 
Thanks,
Ed

tony@skippystrains

Ed, first mistake.  Never disassemble a Bachmann engine.  These products are covered by a Lifetime Limited Warranty which you just voided.  For a minimal bench charge, Bachmann will completely repair or replace the unit for you.

We have a complete repair shop in our basement, and anytime I receive a Bachmann product I am off to the repair center.  The repairs and / or replacements are done in a timely manner and I have never experienced a problem.

I even brought in my original Pennsylvanian G scale locomotive for which I suspected had a broken drive gear.  For (at that time) a $ 30.00 bench charge I received a completely new drive / chassis assembly, headlight and smoke unit.  It cannot be beat.

To
Tony Fortunato / Skippy's Train Shed

Kevin Strong

Quote from: tony@skippystrains on January 30, 2012, 01:36:20 PM
Never disassemble a Bachmann engine.  These products are covered by a Lifetime Limited Warranty which you just voided.
Aw, c'mon. Taking these things apart is where the fun is. :D

Which wheels are out of gauge? The drivers on the main axle? If I recall, that's a solid axle end to end, so if the wheels are tightened all the way, they should be in gauge. If they're too wide, some things to look for. First, make sure there's nothing inside the wheel hubs that would be keeping the wheels from seating all the way down on the axles. Second, make sure the bearing blocks in the frame are facing the right way. Without taking mine apart, I believe they're asymmetrical, and stick out farther on the inside than the outside. If they're backwards, they could be interfering with the backs of the wheels, forcing them out of gauge. If there's no side-to-side play on the axle, that's where I'd look first.

Second, double-check the eccentric assemblies. They're not exactly intuitive to put back together once you've pulled things apart. They just slide on the axle, though, and they've got to fit between the frames, so I'm not sure how that might affect the gauge, unless you've got them installed wonky AND the bearing blocks backwards so everything fits.

Not quite sure how they'd be too narrow, given the nature of the assembly.

Here's a photo of what they're supposed to look like assembled. (The photo shows two small spacers I installed to limit side-to-side play.) This is on the 2-6-0, but the 4-4-0 is identical.

Later,

K