An Alco S4 in PRR scheme or more big time railroads?

Started by PRRLEGEND, January 31, 2012, 08:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRRLEGEND

Bachmanns S4 is looking really good. I hope they expand with more railroads like the PRR. I'm a PRR fan and modeler. I don't have alot of options besides the awesome K4 and RS-3. Bachmann if your looking please take this into consideration. Everyone else, what do you think?? :)

blf

I think, from memory, that the PRR units( I think there were only four) had notch noses, But would also be interested if done right. Bill

jward

you are thinking of the alco t6. pennsy had 6, n&w had 40.

pennsy also had quite a few alco s4s.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

PRRLEGEND

Yeah, both of you have a great point. What i'm trying to say is if Bachmann could make a PRR version of this new ALCO S4, or make more PRR engines, its crazy how The industries buildings stand on the grounds of the old Baldwin Loco works. It's kind of why Bachmann made the K4 in honor of them, and Bachmann usually makes runs of famous steam engines. So what im saying is, why not expand their PRR market, and other big time R.R.s?

jward

let's see....

prr freight cars roamed the country, and were common on most roads. pennsy n8 cabooses were also used by illinois central gulf, the n5s were used by boston & maine and new haven. doesn't sound so unique to me. at least no more so than any other railroad.

as far as diesels are concerned, most of the time there weren't many differences between roads, so it's really just a matter of a paint job. alco s4s were common locomotives in their day, and could be found from coast to coast. that also doesn't sound unique to me. unlike steam locomotives, most diesels were off the shelf items, produced assembly line style with minimal customization.

as for pennsy being over represented, does this also apply to union pacific. you know, the big boy, dda40x, gas turbines in 2 different styles, all unique to the UP? and the u50, which 23 of 26 made went to UP? don't hear any complaints about those......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

I agree with jward.   You cannot say the market is super saturated with Pennsy equipment if you cannot say the same for Santa Fe,  UP,  and at one time B&O.   As someone who got into this wonderful hobby back in the late 1950s,  the majority of available equipment was lettered for those roads.
     Here is what bothers me about what seems to be an on going trend with manufactures and let's take the Pennsy as an example.
     BLI brings out six different steams plus the centipedes,  E units,  and the GG-1.   Of the six steam engines,  two were some of the most lest represented on the Pennsy and  were only used by the Pennsy.   I speak of the T class, and the Q class.
     Next let's look at size.   While BLI did the K4,  it was minor it's numbers produced in comparison to the Js,  Ms,  and Is.
     Now,  let's step away from BLI and look at the market.   Bachmann just did a M class articulated only used by the B&O and yet is has sold out.
Athearn continually produces equipment that is only used by either the Southern Pacific or the Union Pacific.
       So to the bottom line is simple.   I think manufactures have missed the boat in one respect.   Look at anyone who has produced the Pennsy K4 and let's put Bowser out of the mix because almost 100% of their line was Pennsy.    If you do a K4,  why not do the 2-8-2,  L1.   I believe it is the same boiler.   Why not do smaller engines such as the shifting classes such as the A and B classes.   Tell how many steam shifters are produced today with a sloped back tender.
        Come on Bachmann or anyone who may want to continue to produce steam engines.   Let's put a moratorium on the monster engines and get back to some 0-4-0s,  0-6-0s,  2-6-0s,  4-6-2s,  and 2-8-2s.  And while you are at it,  why not do a Harriman class type engine as has been requested with extra domes,  pilots,  etc as you do in On30 so a modeler can fit his engine to his specific road style.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Bucksco

I'm sure the S4 will appear in PRR colors at some point.

Bucksco

Nothing has changed. Bachmann still produces it's share of items in a variety of roadnames. Unfortunately undecorated models tend to sit in the warehouse.

Bucksco

jward

i saw my share of buzzsaws around the pittsburgh area. matter of fact mopac had a run through with conrail into conway, pa in the 1980s. took a few photos of them. mopac units were kinda useless east of conway though. they didn't have dynamic brakes or cab signals. this was the same reason union pacific converted many of them to b units. train handling in mountainous areas without dynamic brakes is a time consuming problem.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

uncbob

I want a PRR 2-8-2 and a 2-8-0

They had more of them than some RRs had engines

Johnson Bar Jeff

I'd like to see a boiler with a Belpaire firebox on the chassis of the Richmond 4-4-0.  ;)

ryeguyisme

Quote from: jward on February 18, 2012, 03:26:35 AM

as for pennsy being over represented, does this also apply to union pacific. you know, the big boy, dda40x, gas turbines in 2 different styles, all unique to the UP? and the u50, which 23 of 26 made went to UP? don't hear any complaints about those......

I'd still like to see a diecast union pacific Non-USRA 2-8-2, 2-8-8-0, 2-8-8-2

they were actually unique

the 2-8-8-2 is similar to DRGW L-131's