News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

question about dual mode bachmann decoder

Started by kewatin, February 06, 2012, 03:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kewatin

as a newbie to dcc i have finally finished wiring mypresent layout to dcc anf all is well,except i have a new nce power cab &i checked out my bachmann 2-8-0 on the inital start-up address as 3 &all went well,then i got brave and set the loco address to long and again all went well except i cannot run the loco on dc anymore. i am sure i said no to dc programming so my question is if i set any more locos to just the 3 address or set the set-up address in my dcc power cab to dc  will i be able to still use the locos on dc as well as dcc. sorry for the long rant but being an older person ,new technolagy comes real slow ,but am eager to learn. hopefully someone here on the forum will be able to explain this issue to me.
many thanks  regards&later KEWATIN

seadowns

Hi!

CV29 sets a few options. If you like to rum the loco with 28/128 speed steps, short address range and enable DC set the value on 6.
If you just want to run on long addresses with enabled DC set it to value 38.
So you can chose a certain address for each loco you have.

Regards
Mathi

skipgear

Quote from: kewatin on February 06, 2012, 03:31:18 PM
. i am sure i said no to dc programming ....... will i be able to still use the locos on dc as well as dcc.

If you set the loco to not run on DC when seting up the new address, it will not run on DC.

Other bits of info....may be helpful or not. Just trying to decifer the question.

I am pretty sure an NCE Power cab does not have the capability to run a DC loco on address 0.
A loco with a decoder installed can not be run in DC mode (address 0) on a DCC system.

Reset your decoder, (CV8=8) then program your new long address and if the system asks, when the DC question comes up, answer yes.

Another option would be to set CV29 directly = 38.
That should be:
   Normal direction
   28/128 speed step
   analog operation
   long address

Here is how you figure CV29 - http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ez_content/1_Amp_Decoder_Instr.pdf

Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

kewatin

thank you gentelmen, tony you have it right,regarding my question,thats exactly what i did. now i will try &clear the decoder per your reasoning  cv8 and reprogram the long address except when it says do i want the dc option  i will press yes. thanks again folks for your help it is greatly appreciated. regards&later KEWATIN :D