News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

19' radius curves

Started by usher42, February 01, 2012, 02:05:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usher42

Can i use 19"radius curves on 2x4" layout? How many 19"radius curves make circle?

mrmtox

A 19" radius gives you a 38" circle. I'm afraid you'll have a bit of over hang on the 2' wide board.

mhampton

19" radius curves cover 15 degrees of arc, so there are 24 in a complete circle.  You could, at best, put a semi-circle on a 2' by 4' board.

GoCanes

3 foot is SO much better than a 2" table  width, with anything more than 24" increasingly better.  (ie 28" WAY BETTER, 30" WAY, WAY BETTER, 36" INFINATELY BETTER)

Squeeze out some more room, and go bigger   ;)

usher42

What abou t32" wide board for 19"radius curve track, cause right now i dont 3' wide board

mhampton

You are still a couple of inches short for using 19" radius curves.  That is a 38" diameter curve.  The radius is measured to the center line of the track, so you would probably need a minimum width of 39" for the outer rail not to be hanging over the great abyss (past the edge of the board).  That's not leaving any margin of safety in the event of a train derailment.  Realistically, you would need at least a 42" wide board for safety.  With a 32" wide board, the broadest curve you should use would be about 15".  You would have to do that with either flex track or Atlas code 55 sectional track.

usher42

How many 19"curves make a circle

mhampton

Quote from: usher42 on February 07, 2012, 12:08:47 AM
How many 19"curves make a circle

As I said in my first reply, 24.