News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Railroad's paint names

Started by kpsdjs, February 02, 2012, 02:38:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Doneldon on February 06, 2012, 03:21:49 AM
The Santa Fe didn't do blue bonnets because the Delaware and Hudson already had a blue paint scheme which was very similarly shaped to the AT&SFRy war bonnet pattern.

I can't swear to the accuracy of my information, but I have read that what happened was that the D&H bought some Alco PA units from AT&SF that were painted in the warbonnet scheme and just replaced the red with the blue and added the D&H shield. Regardless, I think it made for a sharp-looking engine.

Wish I'd checked in here earlier; this is a nice, fun thread.

I've liked the Western Maryland Speed-lettering since I used to see it on cars we'd pass--somewhere--driving from Lancaster to Gettysburg when I was a kid. For reasons unknown I'm also partial to GN "Big Sky Blue."

I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that while the PRR painted boilers Brunswick Green, smokeboxes were painted with something just called "front end paint."  ;D  But my memory could be playing tricks on me about that.

ebtnut

The WM and the Reading ran a joint service between Harrisburg (Rutherford Yard) and Hagerstown.  You could spot power from both roads at either location.  The junction point was at Shippensburg.  CSX still runs trains on this route.  Rutherford has been reduced to a container and TOFC facility.  As for the PRR they, like a lot of roads, used a heat-resistant paint on the smokeboxes of many locos.  In some cases it was paint; in other cases it was "graphite in oil".  The result was that the smokebox took on a silvery-black color.  This seems to have been more prevelant on passenger power.  The B&O often did the same thing.  If you look at old steam pics of the Southern Pacific, they used an aluminum-based paint that looked almost white. 

beampaul7

Has anyone mentioned Rio Grande Gold?

Michigan Railfan

Here's an example of Grand Trunk's only (I think) paint scheme. I made this as well in Microsoft Paint:

KiteFlyer

Jim,

I have a fairly extensive 100% Bachmann HO DCC 5' X 8 ' layout, with reversing loop, motorized turntable w/ Tidmouth Shed, main, siding, a/d track, etc. (landscaping to come later), but cannot see all my DCC Turnouts and therefore am trying to find information on adding signal lights to my Bachmann DCC Turnouts to avoid derailments.  Do you have any recommendations on how to wire in functional signal lights onto the 44130 and 44131 EZ Command DCC Turnouts?

Ken G Price

KiteFlyer
It would be best if you started a new separate post on the subject you are asking.
This post is about an other subject and not signal lights.

Starting a new post will show up on the main general discussion where it will be seen by many more people then maybe just me or one or two others.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

Woody Elmore

The D&H got their warbonnet alcos from the Santa Fe. The Santa Fe used the war bonnet for many years before the D&H came up with the blue version.

The D&H had blue and grey sharknoses.

The ATSF had an experimental yellow warbonnet scheme.

M1FredQ

Since my son collects the Lionel Nation Series from TM Productions, Lionel Nation Number 6
had a what if Ther e were a F-3 series of Santa-Fe done in Black and Red instead of the
classic Silver /red. They emphasized that Santa Fe had never done this but they thought it
would be a great idea if some one did it

WELL!!!!

Turns out Williams did do it and we bought the F-3's A-B-A  in Black/Red because we really liked it and it
is really cool looking.

WELL

In the latest TRAINS Special Edition on Train-Wrecks there in living colour on page 45 is the

Santa-Fe F-3 in the Black/Red  color scheme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was done and Williams has it

So now there is documentation to prove the color scheme was used and it is not a what-if!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D