News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Shay Problem

Started by jlg759, February 02, 2012, 09:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlg759

I have the Ho Scale 3 truck shay. While running my locomotive I noticed it has started having problems pulling cars and runs real jerky when running by itself. Up untill a few days ago i have never had a problem with this locomotive. I am wodering if some saw dust may have gotten into the wheels it was ran on some track during layout construction that was not vaccumed up before this issue started. I have also read about split gears andf wondering if that could be the problem. Can some one tell me how i would Check this also how to take the trucks apart to clean and check for debris in the wheel sets.

Thanks

Joe

martinni

i can tell you that most of shays are like that jerky ,  years ago i bought one from a train show , it was running so jerkily and the next day i took it back and got another one , that one was better and i only run it once in while but  now it doesnt run or move anymore ,  only the headlight works . 

martinni

you dont have to break it apart , it doesnt make sense doing so ,  i have heard lots of complaints about that issue

richg

Check the gears for cracks. That is well known issue for the Bachmann Climax and Shay.
Bachmann has parts as does NWSL.

Rich

jlg759

ok so where is the gear that needs checked and does the truck need taken apart to check

joe

richg

Here is a link to NWSL. Click on the pictures.

http://shop.osorail.com/category.sc?categoryId=208

Bachmann has their own replacements. Look in the parts site. Also, look at the diagram page that came wwith your loco.
I only included the photos for reference.
You can also return the loco for a replacement.

I am sure someone else here has the exact directions. I think Geared Steam is around here also.

Rich

richg

Ok, found his link. Look at all his stuff.

http://gearedsteam.blogspot.com/2009_08_17_archive.html

Anyone looking at this message, store thee link in Favorites even if you do not use this loco. You might help someone in the future.

Rich