News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Are turnouts power routing or not?

Started by Rockdweller, February 02, 2012, 09:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockdweller

Quote from: James in FL on February 13, 2012, 01:20:27 PM
So we now know that the new turnouts come from the factory as "all routes live" but can be converted to "power routing"
No - incorrect.  I didn't say they switched the power to different lines (power routing),  I said when you power the frog, the frog changes polarity as you select between the lines - as it would have to do to not cause a short.  The lines remain live all the time.
Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Why Bachmann would include "not recommended for DCC" on the new turnout packaging is a mystery to me, seeing as the frog is unpowered and all routes are live from the factory.
Which is exactly what I have been wondering as well since always live turnouts are required for DCC if you are using the EZ track as - well as easy track, rather then permanent track with bus bars.

It would appear to me that when using these new turnouts in all routes live mode, on DC as a crossover, that they would require insulated joiners between them... no?
Yes.  However that would not be possible with the crossover since the two switchers are joined, in which case one would have to cut one rail between them with a Dremel.

This has been a good thread and lots of good information (facts) passed along here.
I've learned something and thanks to all participating.
Yes and we seem to have turned the whole understanding of turnouts around in the process..
So what advise do we now give people who ask things like
"Where should I position the terminal/re-railer track in relation to my turnouts to keep the trains from stopping and do I need more than one terminal/re-railer track?"
& "For a passing siding I assume that I need to have power independently going to the siding so the main line and siding need not be "hot" simultaneously"

Obviously the advise given previously will now be incorrect - its going to get more difficult to answer such questions as first the type/version of the turnout (with the exact same numbers) will have to worked out etc

Oh Mr B what have you done?
Perhaps you should have brought out two different numbered versions and even perhaps sold them alongside each other as DCC live turnout & DC power routing turnout.

James in FL

QuotePosted by: Rockdweller  Posted on: Today at 05:52:01 PM  
Insert Quote  
Quote from: James in FL on Today at 12:20:27 PM

No - incorrect.  I didn't say they switched the power to different lines (power routing),  I said when you power the frog, the frog changes polarity as you select between the lines - as it would have to do to not cause a short.  The lines remain live all the time.
Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Thanks for setting the record straight yet again.

I have deleted this text from my previous post as it is inaccurate;

Looks like another trip to the LHS to re-read the enclosed literature. My hobby dollars are no longer even in my budget. I hate to buy a new turnout knowing that I will never use it. The use of the EZ track I still have left makes a test 8 nothing more. I have given the rest to a newbie just starting in the hobby at Christmas time.
It served me well for years, but I have found I have outgrown it.

Rockdweller

James I don't think I'm setting any record straight, your understanding of  the EZ turnouts is based on the 'old?' turnouts and in that regards you are 100% correct.

the problem - as we have now discovered lies with Bachmann themselves for changing the rules and not telling us the users.. I feel it was a mistake on their part to use the same part number, and not change it. They do so when they change a Locomotive to say DCC from analog as it would make a huge shenanigan for stock inventory's, why not for track parts as well?

As for my use of E~Z track.  I have a ten year old who is not ready for a fixed layout and has not yet got the modeling skills needed to create his own parts etc, so the E~Z track is much better for him because of its much easier to setup and holds it shape better without being fastened to anything.. I will make him (read me) a fixed layout at some date in the future, but at 10yrs old its not urgent and in a year or so he will have a better idea of what he would like.

I do have some retail turnout packs coming and can photo them from both sides, so please don't feel the need to buy a new turnout.  However at the current rate of travel of my January 24th order which still has not arrived, I don't know when I will see them as they are in my 7th Feb order.

update 15th Feb parts for the later order are here (priority mail by mistake) so pics will be coming..

Rockdweller

Ok here's the crossover packet which is defiantly a DCC ready item and its 'Blue'

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and here's the underside showing the same wires for live frogs as found on the turnouts

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Rockdweller

Here's the new? turnout packets with the 'Yellow' showing both the 44862 (type #6)  and 44864 (type #4)

and here is the back (both are identical on the back)

and here is a close up of the instruction about making live frogs and using them live only on DC

So I'm still trying to work out what is signified by the Yellow- like why are the crossovers Blue, yet work the same as the "new" Yellow turnouts.

Anyway I think we have established the turnouts are not power routing anymore.

skipgear

I don't think the crossovers were ever power routing. There really isn't a need for them to be. The only power they would route would be to the short segment of track that is the actual crossover and I believe that is issolated in the middle so that you may run different power supplies on either of the double track loops. That is at least the way the HO crossovers are made.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

Rockdweller

Thanks skipgear for the input,

Not having had any E~Z crossovers previously I can't comment.  Are you suggesting that Bachmann has just upgraded the turnouts to match what the crossovers have always done?
That said - your comment "I believe that is isolated in the middle so that you may run different power supplies on either of the double track loops." doesn't make sense, as the crossover's I have here do not isolate one track from the other.  ie both double track loops use the same power supply.

HO may be different?

Rockdweller

Just been looking through the new catalog for 2012 and every single piece of n scale E-Z track is now on a Yellow edged card, whilst every piece of HO E~Z track is on a Blue edged card, so it would likely appear the colours are meant to highlight the different Scale rather then anything to do with DCC etc.

I also note that in addition to the existing two #6 turnouts under discussion in this thread -
"REMOTE TURNOUT - LEFT - Item No. 44861 &  REMOTE TURNOUT - RIGHT  - Item No. 44862  / Suggested price: $26.00 (1/card)"

there are two new #6 turnouts (left & right) that don't have pic's yet and are described just as
"#6 TURNOUT – LEFT - Item No. 44859 & #6 TURNOUT – RIGHT  - Item No. 44860   / Suggested price: $52.00 (1/card)"

I wonder what these are?

eddie3

I have been setting up my layout and not being electrically smart but learning as I move along,I. have also found I have two left hand turnouts (part numbers 44861) where the older blue packaged one is definitely power routing and the new one in yellow packaging is not,even though the small instruction sheet inside the package states it is. I recently ordered another hoping to use it to be able to store locos on track with the power routing feature but received the newer version which is live either way the switch is directed. Very confusing indeed and one has to wonder why Bachmann has yet to reply to this issue.

eddie3

Can the NEW yellow packaged turnout that are always live be converted to power routing? Maybe disconnect the red wire that is also used to power the frog if needed? Any help would be great as all my turnouts are set and secured .

janjun

I have both power routing and non power routing turnouts. The difference is what holds the points together. The power routing have a metal bar to hold the points and the non power routing have a plastic bar holding the points together. This is a change that Bachmann made several years ago.

Ron Zee

How much longer is that guy going to be in Nuremburg? I thought he'd be back by now. Seems odd there's still no response from the "makers".