Wall Power Supply for E-Z Command System

Started by southwind, February 04, 2012, 03:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southwind

Hello,

I was presented with the Bachmann Digital Command System. I live in Europe (Switzerland) so the wall power supply is not compatible with our electrical system (230 V). Is there a replacement available that will fit the bill?

Thanks

Werner

richg

I have not seen the power pack up close but apparently is not a universal power pack, i.e, 100 VAC to 240 VAC.
The below link has a bunch of links on the EZ Command system you can read though that gives you the specs.
The required voltage is mentioned and max current is 1.5 amps though many say 1.0 amps.
If all else fails, follow instructions.
I know there are many Bachmann sellers in the EU and UK.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ezcommand_2010.php

Rich

phillyreading

I was stationed in Germany in the late 1970's with the US army and voltages are differant between the USA and Europe, 220 volts for Germany and 240 volts for the USA. Also there is a frequency problem to be overcome as well, it is 50 hertz for Germany (most parts of Europe as well) verses 60 hertz for the USA. Had this problem with stereo equipment.
Voltage is not the only factor to be considered, but it is a crucial factor.
A step/down or step/up transformer can not do hertz adjustments, as it is only good for voltages.

You will do better to buy something electrically made for your country rather then buy something made for another country, especially another continent away. You may have to go to England to buy stuff made for Europe.

Lee F.

richg

Best solution is to look for a Universal Power supply, Wall Wart. They operate between 100 to 240 VAC, 50 Hz or 60Hz.
All the wall Warts, plug in wall power supply I have seen have the specs on the case.
The two prongs on the wall wart can be an issue depending on where you are. There are adapters to take care of that also.
Let us know how you do. This may help others also.

Rich

Jim Banner

Be careful with universal power supplies.  They are almost always dc output.  I have yet to see a specification for running an E-Z Command from a dc input.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

NarrowMinded

The control part of the easy command runs on 16v AC, go to your local electronics store with the existing power supply and ask them for a power supply that puts out 16V AC 1000 mA. if you can't find one with the same plug on the end or a set of changeable plugs then also pick up some splice connectors cut the plugs off the end and splice on the one for the Ez Command.

NM-Jeff

richg

The EZ Command has a full wave bridge rectifier that converts the AC to DC with about a 1.4 Volt drop.
I see a couple other brands of DCC controllers that specify about 16 VDC or about 18 VAC input.
Some boosters are like that.
Some companies are attempting to make their equipment sort of universal you might say. Operates on DC or AC.
Not a problem if you are technically oriented and have a multimeter to confirm readings.

Rich

Ken G Price

Quote from: southwind on February 04, 2012, 03:24:53 PM
Hello,

I was presented with the Bachmann Digital Command System. I live in Europe (Switzerland) so the wall power supply is not compatible with our electrical system (230 V). Is there a replacement available that will fit the bill?

Thanks

Werner
If there is not some place in Switzerland that sells Bachmann I know there are some in other European countries that sell their products. A web search should get you some.
Emailing Bachmann and asking may be the way to go.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

Jim Banner

Quote from: richg on February 07, 2012, 07:56:14 PM
The EZ Command has a full wave bridge rectifier that converts the AC to DC with about a 1.4 Volt drop.
I see a couple other brands of DCC controllers that specify about 16 VDC or about 18 VAC input.
Some boosters are like that.
Some companies are attempting to make their equipment sort of universal you might say. Operates on DC or AC.
Not a problem if you are technically oriented and have a multimeter to confirm readings.

Rich

What other companies are doing does not mean that the E-Z Command can be operated on dc.  The problem is the rating of the bridge rectifier.  A bridge rectifier rated at 1 amp can safely deliver 1 amp if fed by ac.  With ac, the two pairs of 1/2 amp diodes share the load by working on alternate half cycles.  The same bridge rectifier can safely deliver only about 1/2 amp if fed by dc.   With dc, only one pair of the 1/2 amp diodes works all the time.  The other pair works not at all.

Electronic units, such as DCC boosters, that are designed to operate from ac or dc have to have bridge rectifiers rated for twice the current compared to those in units designed for ac only operation.  Can any of us assure southwind that the bridge rectifiers in E-Z Commands were designed for dc use?  Unfortunately, it takes more than a multimeter and being technically oriented to tell for sure.

I can, however, assure southwind that a wall transformer rated at 18 volts, 1 amp, 50 Hz output will operate his E-Z Command quite satisfactorily.  While not all electronics designed for 60 Hz operation will work properly on 50 Hz, the E-Z Command was designed to operate on both.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.