News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GE BQ23-7 Diesel Locomotive

Started by PiedmontRR, February 04, 2012, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiedmontRR

Hi Everybody,

I have these locomotives here that were made by Bachmann years ago like in the 1980's.  Recently I used them at a train show and they were quite popular topics of conversation.  I want to know if these can be converted to use digitraxx?  I also want to know if there might be a better engine that I could put in these things to make them run better?   

The cabooses are non-Bachmann, but they  matched the locomotives

bobwrgt

Hold on to them. They bring a pretty good price on ebay. I would check into using an Athearn Blue Box
engine and frame under them or check to see if they would fit the Bachmann B23/30 frame. You will have to rework the coupler mounting on them as the newer engines don't have truck mounted couplers.

Bob

Doneldon

Piedmont-

Old trains can be worth some money but, contrary to popular belief, only if they are in pristine condition and have their original boxes and packing, also in as new condition. There are very few exceptions to this rule. The thing is, any collectible value will be gone if you put these shells on another frame. You can hang on to the old frames for a later reinstallation but the shells will still decline in value because handling will make them look older and less valuable. Plus, making any changes to the shells, like for couplers, will destroy their value as collectibles.

The only way to maintain any collector value is to store these unused in their boxes. If that doesn't work for you, sell them now and buy something else which you can take to your club and shows without worrying about them.
                                                                            -- D

jward

as the bq23-7 is merely a b23-7 with a larger cab, you should be able to mount these bodies on the much better running b23-7 chassis. these are good candidates for conversion to dcc, but are not dcc ready. you will have to isolate the motor from the frame, but this is not that hard to do on these locomotives.

the original pancake motor drive in my opinion isn't worth the addition of a decoder. even on dcc they will run poorly compared to newer locomotives.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

PiedmontRR

The motor doesn't do much to impress me at this stage. I am thankful they still run though.   I think Bachmann only produced these two models of this locomotive and I had to search far and wide just to get my hands on them.  Mostly they have the sentimental value to them but they can run.

BillD53A

Maybe an Atlas U23b drive will fit.