Bachmann HO Alco 2-6-0 for conversion to On30?

Started by railtwister, January 07, 2012, 04:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railtwister

Has anyone here looked at the HO Alco 2-6-0 with an eye towards converting it to On30, or is it too small to be believable? I read on one of the lists that it's drivers are 5/8" diameter which would be a scale 30". Seems like it might make a good stablemate for the I.F. 4-4-0 which is also pretty small.

Bill in FL

Dusten Barefoot

Now that looks like it could be converted to a pretty little 4-6-0 like ET&WNC #9.

Rock On!
~Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

S. Calloway

Dustin,  By far the most easy way to make an ET&WNC #9 is to start with the current 4-6-0 and make just a few minor changes. The 9 was only 12inches shorter than the other ten wheelers,and after the crash that ruined the smokebox,the shop crews rebuilt the engine with a new one from Baldwin. Thus from then on, it REALLY looked like the others!
  Also, the drivers were the same size. The greatest spoting difference was the tender.If you take the trucks on the tender and move them closer together,A foot I think, Run the air line from the tanks over the top of the boiler,you have got a very accurate #9!  That is what I have done ,and it has turned out great! Some Linville River decals,real coal load,and a crew and you have it!   Dwayne ;)

ebtnut

What might work out better esthetically would be to consider the mechanism as the basis for a 2-6-2.  The small drivers would be more appropriate in that case. 

Locodriver

Actually I am in the middle of converting the HO Alco 2-6-0 into a 2-6-2 Na as per Puffing Billy fame, the driver spacing when converted to On30 is dead on correct at 4'3"/3'9", by changing the drivers to with the Bachmann 2-8-0 36" drivers again this is dead on correct for the Na class including the correct number of spokes [10]. There is very little modification required to the Mogul chassis other then removing some material adjacent to the motor housing to allow clearance for the larger diameter drivers, but this is only required on the rear set of drivers,and also you need to cut some slots for the cross members on which the side tanks mount and also the motion bracket, the rest of course you have to scratch build, including the outside frames etc.
I was actually wondering if Bachmann was trying to sneak in a 2-6-2 for On30 by stealth as the HO mogul requires so little work to modify, Bachmann could very easily bring out a Baldwin 2-6-2 using the chassis of this loco the drivers from the On30 2-8-0 and a number of other parts they already have in production for other models.....so what about it Mr. Bachmann is there any chance??

railtwister

Quote from: Locodriver on February 17, 2012, 10:30:48 PM
Actually I am in the middle of converting the HO Alco 2-6-0 into a 2-6-2 Na as per Puffing Billy fame.......

Hi Locodriver,

Any chance of some pictures?

Bill in FL

Locodriver

I am currently drawing all of the artwork to etch most of the components required, I will start construction this week , so I will post photos as I progress.

Royce Wilson

Could you be speaking of a outside frame 2-6-2? ;D

Royce

Royce Wilson

Now that would be a beautiful locomotive!!! ;D

Royce