News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need some help on tender lettering

Started by Stephen Warrington, July 22, 2007, 12:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Warrington

:) Hi Guys,

My dear friend Lanny  has one of my Proto 2000 2-10-2s at his locomotive rebuilding shop in Iowa. To be lettered IC 2906 or AKA 2542 before being converted into IC 4-8-2 and I need some help on how much coal and water a USRA Long tenders as seen with this model https://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/920-60018

Thanks
Stephen

Pacific Northern

While not specific to your 2-10-2,  you may find the following of some use/interest.

a CN Northern 6167 had the following tender (Vanderbilt) capacity:
   coal  18 tons
   water 11,600 gallons

The Spectrum 2-10-2- (note Light USRA) CN 4209 is labeled at
                coal 16 tons
                water 10,000 gallons

I assume the latter would be in the ball park for a normal - not long haul - tender.
Pacific Northern

Stephen Warrington

;D Thanks that does get me into the ballpark, now that I think about it I don't think the IC had long haul tenders after all its riding on 2 axle trucks and I dont believe the IC had to  many spots that had long distances between water tanks.

Thanks
Stephen

SteamGene

There were three USRA tenders, small, medium, and large.  The large was not a long haul tender, but it was the largest one built.  IIRC, it came only with the 2-10-2 and the two Mallets.  The light Pacific originally was to come with the small, but it actually came delivered with the medium, leaving the two switchers with the small and everything else with the medium. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Virginian

It used to be a lot easier before the virtual steam locomotive web site went down.   :'(  Best thing to do now is measure the tender coal and water volumes and try for the closest match to the prototype known capacities.
"What could have happened... did."

Orsonroy

And now to answer the question...

According to the 1937 IC steam diagram book, the 2900-series tenders were rated at 12,000 gallons of water and 16 tons of coal.
Ray Breyer
Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, 1949

lanny

I'll jump in here to say 'thanks' for the info Ray (Orsonroy)  :)

Got what I need Stephen, I'll get the decaling done and get it shipped back to you soon.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Stephen Warrington

:) Thanks so much Ray for the answer. They sure are gems of these beasts and they forced me off my lazy butt to finally replace the old 20+ year old Atlas LL mix of track on my little 4x8 double loop test layout still dreaming of a new house with about a 20x20 train  room so mom will quit fussing about all the boxes of Rolling stock and kits all over the house. She is threatening to sell my  coca-cola train by Athearn to my aunt who works for COKE. LOL!

Stephen