size wire to front wheel pickup on a 4-6-0

Started by trainman1954, February 06, 2012, 01:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman1954

hello i am new to this i just received a bachmann 4-6-0 loco and the front wire is broke off what gauge do i need it is smaller then any stranded wire i have.
thanks trainman1954

NarrowMinded

It looks like 20 or 22 gage, take a peice to radio shack, If i was replacing it I would just find and old computer serial cable and strip a peice out of it, if its it's too thin just double up on the wires.

Old serial cables are great for small multi colored wires.

NM-Jeff

Barry BBT

The wire is probably 26 or 28 ga. if not smaller.  20 and 22 ga. is used in automobiles.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

NarrowMinded

never found anything less then 18ga w/heavy insulation in my vehicles, Stop buying those imports Barry... ;D

NM-JEff

Loco Bill Canelos

I was thinking 22 to 26 ought to do it, just make sure the new wire is very flexible and stays clear of the pilot pivot, and the slot it swings in, or you will have problems with derailments.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

adir Tom

caution about using minimum wire gauge. I had the other guys Mallet catch fire because a sound board malfunctioned and the pickup wires could not handle the increased amperage needs. The take up wires and harness between the engine and tender overheaded and caught fire. Any wire used should be able to handle up to 10-12 amps.

JerryB

I'm not certain what the original poster meant by ". . . the front wire . . .," but took it to mean that a wire between the front truck and the chassis was broken. The advice to use wire in the 24 to 28 gauge range makes lots of sense. The flexibility of the wire is what is most important, or the lead truck will not be able to follow the track.

Quote from: adir Tom on February 08, 2012, 12:42:01 PM<snip>Any wire used should be able to handle up to 10-12 amps.

adir Tom's post is recommending that at least #12 AWG wire (which is rated at 10 amps in 12 volt service) be used to reconnect that lead truck as well as connecting between the engine and tender. That would make it a little difficult (actually impossible) for the engine to go around curves or to follow the track at all.

Shows that you can get all kinds of advice on the internet. Some of it even makes sense!!

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

trainman1954

thanks everyone i thought that it was around 22 or 24 gauge did go to radio shack but they could not show me anything to help i am going to try the computer cables again thanks everyone