News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Help new to trains

Started by Trainnewbie, February 05, 2012, 04:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainnewbie

Hello this is Tim I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old that absolutely love trains. We visited the model train expo  here in Indianapolis about 2 months ago. My 3 year son has not stop talking about it. I was thinking of setting up a display in part of my garage for him to watch and help build. I have a area of around 4 feet wide by 6 feet long for the display what would be the best scale size to use n or z to get the most out of the space or should I go maybe go Little bigger please help Also what would be a good starter set that I can buy and add more track and items for later Thanks Tim

bobwrgt

I would start out with a wooden or plastic set for them to play with and see how they do. If they like to crash them then they need to get use to treating the trains with respect.
Z scale is  kind of small for a 3 year old. Make sure you put in a rerailer to make it easy for them to put the trains on the track.
A diesel set would be good to start with. Less to break on the engine and easier to put on the track.
Use track that will stay together.
Bob

JerryB

In my opinion, you need to go to H0 or better, 0n30 scale. Little ones will want to see, touch and handle the trains, and they would be very limited by either N-scale or Z-scale.

You can build a small layout in either of those scales in your 4' x 6' space. It will by necessity be small, but those small eyes and hands don't expect the world to be modeled on a table top, and you will all have something that you can easily deal with.

0n30 would be perfect: Affordable, and it works on H0 size track, while the engines and rolling stock are large enough for the little ones to actually see and deal with.

A BIG WELCOME to you and your youngins!!

This is truly the world's greatest hobby, and has been a lifetime fascination for me. My father introduced me model RRing when I was ~3 years old!!

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Trainnewbie

Thanks for the info I bought a Life like HO set at a local auction for 7 bucks came with power supply locomotive tracks and 8 cars. I was wanting the info on the N and z scales to see if they would be more suitable for the area I will set up the set I have and see how he does Thanks Again

JerryB

Good choice to get you going!

Remember that your bargain basement set might have some problems. Help is available here and on the internet in general.

Meanwhile, have a great time with your kids.

Also, consider your own personal future participation in the model railroading hobby. Seems to me you might be a lurker in disguise. ;) ;)

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

jettrainfan

I grew up with a G scale Bachmann Big Hauler, at a young age (and its still alive! Aha! ;D) the problem with me back in the day was i always ran the train too fast. On30 would be perfect for them. Just teach them that the train can only go so fast on the layout.. I'd try to keep the speed under 75%. The wooden and plastic toys are also a good example of teaching them to run trains. I'll admit it, i used to crash them, but after a while i got sick of crashing cause cars would go around a sharp curves and tip over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Doneldon

Tim-

It sounds like you already have a start but I'll predict that you'll be back in the market before long. Life Like train sets aren't noted for their quality or durability. That will be a particular problem with little ones playing with them. Broken couplers and nose dives off of the train table will soon take their toll. Also, little ones often prefer to push their trains down the track; that will wreak havoc on HO locomotives.

On30 is a good alternative but I built rather extensive plastic Tomy and Tomica (actually the same company) Thomas the Tank Engine layouts for my grandkids. These are motorized but the motor disconnects when off so the trains can be moved by hand without damaging anything. They are built more robustly than HO models and have stronger, if less realistic looking, couplers. These are MUCH, MUCH less expensive than the wooden Thomas sets and, I think, better. You can get all kinds of trains including fully compatible trains which are not Thomas trains. There are switches, grades, tunnels and all varieties of rolling stock, some of it animated. There are even road sets which work with the trains, including grade crossings. The Thomas trains dovetail perfectly with the Thomas the Tank Engine story books and the Shining Time Station TV shows. There are videos of Thomas stories and many other toys, as well. The stories were written by a now deceased English parson so each story has a little moral like don't be crabby or get a swelled head or disobey your elders. The only disadvantage I've ever found is that it's a little difficult to find these products. However, you can get them online if you can't find them locally.
                                                                                                                                                     -- D

hcopter51

;) I have to agree with doneldon....Try the tomy and tomica if you can find them....Life like is ok as you did not spend much and so if broken not much of a loss....Take the advice of these other posters,I.E....do not PUSH locos around track,etc....Have fun and "keep the wheels spinning"...... ;)
"KEEP THE WHEELS SPINNING"

jward

a garage is a dusty environment. dust is the enemy in smaller scales like n and z. unless you want to be constantly cleaning track before you run trains, either stick with a larger scale like ho or o, or find a much cleaner environment for your trains.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

I would go with HO. N and Z are very small. On30 is larger but more expensive, more breakable parts, and no regular diesels.
HO stuff is cheap and there's a much bigger variety to choose from.
Feel like a Mogul.

BIG BEAR

Hey All,

The Tomy/Thomas was replaced a few years ago with Fischer-Price/Thomas, just look for the "Trackmaster" series of trains. I have a couple Tomy sets + extras here for my GrandDaughters 5&7 Yrs. I have had them for almost 7 years. I also have purchased a couple Fischer-Price for my nephew who is almost 3yrs. and another friends child just received a F/P for her 2nd Birthday just 2 months ago. I think This was probably a license expire for TOMY and Fischer with more resources got the contract.
    I do agree the HO or On30 would be best for starter sets and I think you did GREAT by the HO and for that price you wont get hurt. Keep in mind you may want to upgrade in time. By then you will have done your homework and studied your childs level of skill to make the best choice for the whole family.

Enjoy,
  Barry

Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.