News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Have you noticed...

Started by Narrowgauge111, February 08, 2012, 04:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheeky_ULP

"For several seasons." Sir Handel was gone for Season 5, 6, 7, and I think 9 as well.

ThomasFan247

He was also absent for season 8.

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: ThomasFan247 on February 10, 2012, 09:46:47 PM
He was also absent for season 8.
Well yes but all the Narrow Gauge engines were.

ThomasFan247

Calebtrain

To me, the definition of one-off is made for for merchandise and appear in one episode as new, make a background cameo, and are gone. To me, Sir Handel is not a one-off.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Calebtrain

I am always willing to help the best way I can. :)

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: Calebtrain on February 12, 2012, 03:32:49 PM
To me, the definition of one-off is made for for merchandise and appear in one episode as new, make a background cameo, and are gone. To me, Sir Handel is not a one-off.
I was also including characters that disappear for a long time.

ClearwtaerMK2

My advice is that If there's gonna be any new characters then please do not make them one-offs, in the background or even forget about them!

Calebtrain

Quote from: Sparks on February 12, 2012, 03:45:14 PM
Quote from: Calebtrain on February 12, 2012, 03:32:49 PM
I was also including characters that disappear for a long time.
Oh, thanks for the clarification!  ;)
http://www.youtube.com/user/Calebtrain

I am always willing to help the best way I can. :)

7029cluncastle

I haven't seen any of the very recent episodes but has Bo-Co been seen since his series 2 or 3? (maybe wrong there)
Duck, Oliver, Stepney plus some of the others hardly have anything these days, Hit ruined it with all these new characters. It was alright until after the series Spencer and Murdoch were introduced. Hank? Who's idea was that?! No need for massive American locos like that on an Island that is nearest to the UK than anywhere else! Awdry would be turning in his grave if he knew what had happened to his beloved Island of Sodor!
"There are two ways of doing things: the Great Western way, or the wrong way. I' m Great Western and..."

jettrainfan

Boco was in teething troubles in season 5 last i checked.... don't know if he made any more appearances past that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Cheeky_ULP

Interestingly though, BoCo still regularly appeared in the magazines, alongside newer engines.

Stepney the 'Bluebell' Engine

Boco sadly had his last use on the set in series 5.

Since then, he's only been seen in magazine stories, his TV model hasn't been CGI'd, so it is highly possible that he won't be making a comeback to the stories anytime soon, and I'm afraid that goes for other classic characters too. I've watched most of the episodes up to Series 15, and a lot of characters seem to have been sent packing.

Daisy however, was seen briefly in Calling All Engines, but i think that was the last time her model was used for that particular feature-length special. Again, a lot of the classic characters have not seen signs of coming back.
"Bluebells Forever!" - Stepney the 'Bluebell' Engine
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Blog: http://theworldofthomasmodelling.blogspot.com/
The Forum: http://worldofsodor.proboards.com

TheJJ

Well I forget who said it but the engines have dumbed down so they can be relatable for kids. Duck, Oliver, Donald, Douglas, BoCo, Fergus, Stepney, and Duke....they're all wise characters we can relate to...but we aren't the target on the Thomas corporation has in mind...basically if you're over 8 they don't care as much. Although I will go against myself saying Bertie...who is somewhat wiser....had a role in season 15. I think the only way we can have a "wise" character is if a Thomas, Percy, Charlie, Bill&Ben(which i don't get..if they were so kiddish arguing in a brotherly way why are they gone?) etc was doing something like going to fast, or being carless and a Duck, BoCo, etc was the one to say Be careful, don't, and be an antagonist in that sense. But to go against myself even farther I'd say those are the episodes that we dislike most. CONSTANT REPEATION. We need change maybe have a wise character learn a thing or 2 from a young one. I may be getting off topic here but T&F needs to be about telling stories again..not teaching lessons (although the stories did teach lessons just not so obviously). Overall I think if we get new owners, new directors, and old characters we will be happy and kids will be happy as long if Thomas appears along side...as for who is returning I wouldn't mind seeing any of the characters I mentioned.
I think we can all agree.

RW James

Quote from: JJ96 on February 13, 2012, 08:15:05 PM...I may be getting off topic here but T&F needs to be about telling stories again..not teaching lessons (although the stories did teach lessons just not so obviously)...
I was talking with a modeler friend about this today. A lot of the stories in the original Railway Series came from real life railway stories. The Rev Awdry was able to use these stories to teach a life lesson. That was the essential formula he used.
There has to more railway stories out there that can be adapted. Those of you that make up new stories - use the internet to find these stories and use them.
And to stay more or less on topic - if you don't like the characters available, make your own.
Rick

Cupix the Azelf

Quote from: Stepney55 on February 13, 2012, 05:33:31 PM
Boco sadly had his last use on the set in series 5.

Since then, he's only been seen in magazine stories, his TV model hasn't been CGI'd, so it is highly possible that he won't be making a comeback to the stories anytime soon, and I'm afraid that goes for other classic characters too. I've watched most of the episodes up to Series 15, and a lot of characters seem to have been sent packing.

Daisy however, was seen briefly in Calling All Engines, but i think that was the last time her model was used for that particular feature-length special. Again, a lot of the classic characters have not seen signs of coming back.

Don't give up hope on him just yet, the new writer might have a chance of bringing the characters back as he did work on some magazine stories that were adapted into Season 3 episodes and they obviously had classic characters in them. There will be a time and a place for everyone... I'm sure. 8)
Thomas + Bachmann = the True Thomas Experience.