finding info on older trains - engines, cars, accessories

Started by edwardalanzo, February 08, 2012, 10:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loco Bill Canelos

Poor Edward (the original poster) is probably long gone trying to sell his Bachmann trains, while we go round and round.  In my personal situation, my son and daughter are directed in my trust to sell my trains on behalf of my surviving wife, other than those I will to them. I have an inventory with the original list price of each item and the estimated current value. I would not donate them to anyone if my wife needed the money.  All those collection buyers do is buy the items at rock bottom prices and sell the stuff on Ebay or at swap meets pocketing a hefty profit, I saw the offers made to my friends wife 10 to 20% on the dollar, I made her a lot more than that.  How does anyone determine how honest a buyer is?  What are the specific criteria?  Who checks to see that they are really fair? When an offer of $100 dollars is made for a G Scale live steam locomotive worth $3500, it is pure and simple taking advantage of a widow with no knowledge of what she has(I stopped that one).  One large midwest club was torn apart when a member left his valuable collection to them and they fought each other over who would get what. That was two years ago and and now there are accusations that some members(officers) stole some of the more valuable items.  Those once friends now hate each other, it was very painful to see. There is much more to this story than I have time to write about

We can all yak about our opinions, and all are entitled to theirs. 

Bottom line: Do what you feel is right for you, in your situation.

I do it my way because I am 72 years old and have seen several 70 and up year old widows desperately in need of money in very vulnerable situations taken advantage of.  I will stick with my plan to protect my wife.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Johnson Bar Jeff

A couple of years ago, when I needed to weed my collection, I sold rolling stock by the computer paper box-full at $50 a box to a local guy whom I knew would resell the stock on eBay. Everything I sold was in very good condition (I take good care of my toys  ;D), but I knew there was nothing rare or valuable in those boxes. It wasn't worth my time or trouble to sell individually on eBay.

I at least had the satisfaction of having the buyer and his wife tell me that they've received more compliments on "my" model trains than on any other trains they've sold.

I'm single and childless, with no potential survivors to worry about, and the space is more valuable to me than old Athearn or Mantua cars that I never run, so this has worked for me.

phillyreading

I had a guy come over to me with some older Lionel trains, and like you say were not worth that much and needed repair, and I told him so. He didn't like the price I gave him and said a few days later that his freind was selling them on ebay. I told him "Much success" as most of what was there was low price stuff or junk. I was trying to be nice to the guy.
Anyway I live near West Palm Beach, FL.

Lee F.

smithron455

Philly,

I am still interested in the old stuff and would be willing to arm wrestle you over a price for a lot of the train items you have been mentioning.

ron

phillyreading

Ron,

Send me an email to; fritzlp@bellsouth.net and mention model trains in the topic. Or email me on here. I am not sure what exactly you may want.

Lee F.