News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC set up.

Started by tulyar55, February 11, 2012, 06:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tulyar55

Hi, im new to this forum, my name is Tony & would be interested in any tips for converting to a dcc layout, our layout is not huge, it is an 8x3 board with a six road engine shed & sidings, it has a double oval mainline, i have bought a Dynamis system but also have just bought another handset as my two boys will fight over one handset, i know i will need the Pro Box, but any tips on the conversion will be most welcomed. I am eager to switch to DCC & will do so as soon as i aquire the pro box.
Many thanks for reading this post & look forward to any feedback. Cheers, Tony.

Jerrys HO

Tony

From what I have read and understand ( not having a DC layout before ) it is very easy. Unplug your DC and plug in DCC as long as there are no reverse loops,etc.
Here is a link to help:

http://www.dccwiki.com/Converting_to_DCC

The club in my area is switching to DCC and it is going rather smooth. They have turned on all there blocks and isolated return loops.I stop by from time to time to get some expert advice from them.
I am sure others here can help also as most still run DC and have switched back and forth.

Jerry

tulyar55

Many thanks jerry, what are the reverse loops? i have bought some large staple like things that you wedge in your points to make the whole layout live, advised by local model shop, only thing with the people in there is that that look at you gone out when you ask about DCC, its like im the last one to switch.
Cheers mate,
Tony.

Jerrys HO

Tony

A reversing loop is when a loco enters a section of track and comes out on the same section it went in on. Reverse loop modules are available to help with switching polarity as the loco enters the reversing section.
I myself created a reversing loop that I did not realize I had created 3 or 4 reversing sections when I thought it was only 2. Scraped that plan and relayed to a reversing dog bone with a twist.
The wedge point you refer to are powered rail joiners, I use them all over my layout usually spacing them about 5 to 6 ft. apart.
Let that hobby shop look at you any way they want as  DCC is much more fun with more possibilities than DC. I strayed away from HO for years because I did not like all the special wiring that it required, so I ended up in O scale for a long time. With DCC it seems to be alot easier to deal with and alot more fun if you run more than 1 or 2 trains at once.

I have added another link to help you. I suggest you read and read and read as much as you can as many books and links you can find. Not trying to scare you but usually the questions you might have are usually basic ones.

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nswmn2/DCC.htm

Jerry