Steam Locomtives in need of Restoration

Started by Bob Jetbob, July 23, 2007, 12:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Jetbob

After searching the web I have notice how many steam engines are in deplorable condition. So was wondering what engines you thought are in desperate need of restoration before they rust away. Remember you can't say all of them. 

ebtbob

At the East Broad Top,  5 mikes,  #12, 14, 16, 17, & 18.   At the Reading and Northern,  Reading T-1(4-8-4) #2102.   At the Reading and Northern,  a report out states that 4-6-2,  #425 is almost completed and probably will be available for the Steamtown Railfan Weekend in November.
At the New Hope & Ivyland....the Mexican 4-8-4 that they have had now for over 10 years.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

r.cprmier

Bob;
Last time I looked, there was an ex-Sumpter Valley 2-6-6-2 working in (Wa-ha-ka  can't spell it in Mexican-too many "X"s) Mexico.  What ever became of it?

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Bob,
I thought that the Reading and Northern had gone out of business.  I thought I saw both 2101 and 425 in Steamtown several years ago - say 10-15. 
I know of four C&O K4s in existence in Newport News, Richmond, and Lynchburg, Va and at the Illinoise Raiload Museum.  All are in poor to fair shape.  I'd like to see one restored to operational condition even if it meant cannabalization of the the others. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

jayl1

Gene,
Reading & Northern - AKA Reading, Blue Mountain & Northern is still very much in the freight business headquartered out of Port Clinton (near Hamburg), PA.  They have over the years acquired ex-Reading & Lehigh Valley trackage from Conrail.  The original line - Blue Mountain & Reading - about 15 miles long - is ex-Penn Central track from Temple to Hamburg, PA.  Passenger service - #425 began in 1985.  I know - I worked it.  That service ran for a few years before 425 was put out of service.  The two PRR E-8 units are also long gone.

ebtnut

There's quite a long list of locos that could/should be restored.  Just remember that steam locos are worse than boats--all you do is shovel money into the firebox.  The rebuilding of EBT No. 15 is reputed to have cost well over $500K, and she was in half-decent shape.  I would love to get back at least EBT 12 and 17.  Here's a few more I'd like to see up and running (I'm not listing those that are currently under some degree of work)--B&O P-7 (B&O Museum); B&LE 2-10-4 (somewhere in the Pittsburgh area); H&BT 2-8-0 (currently stored on the Knox & Kane); PRR B-6 0-6-0 (stored on the Wilmington & Western).  Projects that we hope will come to fruition--the BM&R locos previously mentioned; WV&N 2-8-0 in Elkins, WV; the PRR K-4 (in serious financial straits; may be sent back to Altoona as is); the B&M 4-6-2 at Steamtown; the Cuyahoga Valley 2-8-2; a restoration of regular excursion service on the Ohio Central, with all of their servicable steam.

pdlethbridge

the B&M 4-6-2 is being restored and you can see whats being done here.
http://www.laurellines.org/pr06.htm

Conrail Quality

It's not a steam locomotive, but just as old: PRR GG-1 electric #4876. It's currently sitting vandalized and deteriorating in a CSX yard.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

BaltoOhioRRfan

Here's my list:

B&O 2-8-2 #4500 First USRA engine built.

B&O P7 4-6-2

Reading 4-8-4 American Freedom Train

C&O 2-6-6-6

All loco's are at the B&O Museum in Baltimore
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Woody Elmore

The newly formed Oyster Bay RR museum has the remains of a LIRR G-5 ten wheeler - I forget what the number is. There is another one way out on Eastern Long Island. I don't think that one is running yet.

The loco in Oyster Bay looks like a big Bowser kit. It is in parts - boiler, frame, drivers, tenders, trucks - all in red primer. They hope to get the loco up and running but money to redo the boiler is prohibitive. Adding to the problem is that, under PRR control, the steamers were run until they were almost junk. The Pennsy got every nickel they could out of them.

I'd love to see the P-7 pacific running again. Again, with all these non restored machines, the cost of boiler work, and then insurance, is astronomical.

Mark F.

The Oyster Bay group has 4-6-0 #35, while the RMLI group in Riverhead has 4-6-0 #39, the last LIRR steamer to run in revenue service (1956 end of steam ceremony ?).  I haven't kept up, but I thought that #39 was further along in the restoration process, i.e. the boiler had been inspected/serviced/repaired.  There used to be talk of running #39 on excursions out to Montauk with old 2900 series coaches, but it doesn't sound like the FRA would allow the G-5 out on the main line.  My info is not current, however.

Mark

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

Gene,  in response to your message,   you did see Blue Mountain & Reading,  now Reading and Northern,  425 at Steamtown several years ago.   As I recall,  she was there because neither of the two Canadian steamers was available at that time.   As for 2101,  the Reading 4-8-4,  she is in Baltimore at the B&O Museum,  painted for the American Freedom Train.  She was never in Steamtown,  at least in Scranton.  2101 was the engine that was badly damaged in a roundhouse fire in Ky more about 20 years ago I believe.   At that time,  she was the property of Ross Rowland and the swap of the damaged 4-8-4 was how Ross Rowland latched onto the C&O 4-8-4,  #614.    The 2101 was so badly damaged in that fire that she will never be able to run again.   The Reading T-1 that is at Steamtown is 2124.   She sits out in the parking lot and can be seen without actually going into the Steamtown facility.   Also out there is the GTW 4-8-4 or 4-8-2,  not sure which as well as the Big Boy.
          I did see,  yesterday,  on www.rrpicturearchives.  an album of pix taken at Roanoake,  Va where the Ohio Central was taking NKP Berk 763 to their railroad.   If anyone has any particulars as to the future of the engine it would be nice to hear.    Irony of that move is that supposedly the Ohio Central discontinued their steam program......or so the story goes as I heard it.   Hopefully that is incorrect.

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

SteamGene

Bob,
I don't think you sent the entire link.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Stephen Warrington

IC 2542 sure could use a rebuilding for a return to steam she 100% complete just need the cash to return her to steam.

Stephen

ebtbob

Gene,

As usual,  you are absolutely correct and thankyou for pointing out that I did,  indeed leave something off the link.   Sorry about that people.  The link is actually,  www.rrpicturearchives.net.   BTW.....I have a substantial album there myself including both protype and model pix.   Latest two portions are pix of the PRR E8s at Railfest,  and pix taken on vacation in Illinois and Indiana.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress