how do i make custom model building signage

Started by robertalan51, February 12, 2012, 12:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robertalan51

Hey guys, wondering if any of you have ever made your own signs for your model buildings. If  yes ...........how did you go about it? Are there computer programs for printing out custom made signage? What do you print them on? I've been trying to find out the answers to hese questions for a long time . HELP!!!!
Thanks, Rob

robertalan51

Thanks Rich, very useful info indeed. I just need to find out how to produce custom made  store front signs in different sizes and fonts . Like "General Store"   " Dry Goods" etc etc.

Sleeping Bear

I use inkjet water slide decal paper, make or modify designs in "paint" on my computer and print test pages on paper until I get size and color the way I want it. For signs, apply decals to lexan or sheet styrene. Before trying to even handle the water slide sheet after printing, give it 3-5 light coats of Krylon clear glaze to seal the ink to the paper or your fingers and the water will wipe them out. Have put custom decals on several Bachmann cars and with the help of Testors decal setting solution, they settle down into the cracks and gaps in the "wood" siding and you can see the grain in the wood through most. They look as though they were recently painted on. Be prepared to make a few runs till you get the amount of clear correct. Too much and it cracks and wont flex. Too little and the warm water and maybe the setting solution will bleed the ink. Had that happen on one reefer and I left it that way, kinda looks old and weathered.  This is the paper I use and have had good luck with.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/120661667228?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649   Hope this some help....Later All......S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

NarrowMinded

I just did some signs for a 40's era gas station, I googled "free" printable vintage signs then went surfing the results, I found a lot of images, then printed them on plain paper and cut them out and built frames for some and use others as is like the are litho's on sheetmetal.

It's did take a little experimenting with sizing the images and print quality but that resulted in a net loss of 5 pieces of paper. :P

NM-Jeff

robertalan51

thanks so much guys for your suggestions. I'll give 'em a try. Rob