News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

manufacture obsolete parts

Started by Keusink, February 13, 2012, 02:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doneldon

Keusink-

It occurs to me that you might have another option: A whole new "transmission." Check with NWSL. They have complete gear boxes which you may be able to use in place of your whole current gear train. If they have one which will work I heartily endorse looking into it. In my experience, NWSL has quality goods and a wealth of expertise. Good luck!

ryeguy-

Tasteful, on target rants such as yours are permissable.
                                                                                   -- D

smithron455

You know it is possible with a small gear puller to remove the good gear that you have and place it on the other shaft.

Ron

richg

Quote from: smithron455 on February 17, 2012, 06:03:31 PM
You know it is possible with a small gear puller to remove the good gear that you have and place it on the other shaft.

Ron

That is what I have told the OP but it sounds like something he cannot do.
I also suggested sending the loco to NWSL. I have done both.
I figure he does not want to deal with NWSL. Dave would gladly find the correct worm for the motor and matching worm gear for the axle. Not a big deal as I have done that in the past.
NWSL has all the necessary info on gears and installation suggestions if the OP will take some time to look over the site. I have been dealing with NWSL for twenty years.
I emailed NWSL about this exact loco and Dave said that it is on his list but not in the near future. Not enough demand for this loco like has happened with the Shay.

The big issue is getting the new gear on the axle correctly and might be tough for someone who has not done anything like this before.

Rich

richg

The message I received from Dave at NWSL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing yet for this engine. It's on the growing list of "no more spare parts" engines and we just don't have the capital to chase them all. The plan is to get there over time, but definitely nothing short term.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My suggestion, don't waste your time with a Rant about parts for obsolete stuff. The world, hobby is everliving and not always in the direction we would like.

Rich