News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wiring Short Cut?

Started by Pops, February 13, 2012, 08:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pops

I keep reading to run a buss wire under the layout to get power to more than one location.  The general consensus seems, that way the trains will run better than with just one connection for power.

My layout is to be a modified "dog-bone" style, so the middle of the front track and middle of the back section of track will be close and parallel.

I notice on the EZ-Track straight terminal/re-railer that there is a plug on each side.  I assume that's to plug in the power supply on either side.  If that's the case, I assume the wiring inside that piece of track is wired straight through.

Here's my question - Can I just put a terminal/re-railer beside each other and just run a jumper wire between the two tracks to achieve the above effect?

I plan on using an NCE Power Cab for the power supply.

This seems too easy and logical to me, but I've never seen it done.  Can anyone give my some pros and/or cons for this?

Thanks     ??? ???

:-\

Jim Banner

Yes, that works.  If adding the second connection causes a short, just unplug ONE end of the jumper between tracks, turn it over, and plug it back in.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Pops

NarrowMinded

Just thought I would add some pictures, the way I read your post makes me think of the lower example, the upper example is better then the bottom, but the bottom would also improve operation.

I show it going through a straight feeder then to the curves but you could also go straight to the curved feeders with the jumper between which would still be an improvement.

and then I just reread your post and looked at my own picture and understood (I think) that you just want to add another feeder straight across from the existing and link it. DOH! some times I don't see the forest for the trees
NM-Jeff

Pops

Thanks Jeff -
Sorry I don't know how to add drawings here, but I'll try to describe it.
It's like your top drawing, but -

From the power supply, the wire goes straight to the track, as you have shown.
Assuming the term/re-railer is there, plug in on the near side to the power supply, then plug in the other side to the straight term/re-railer right next to it. (not all the way across the layout).

Also thought it might be possible to just keep going in series to a few more if needed.  I bought a bunch of EZ Track on ebay and now have 7 terminal/re-railers.  LOL - Being fat, lazy and handicapped, I'm not looking forward to the wiring aspect, and just wanted an easy way out.

;D :-[

NarrowMinded

Yeah Like this? You were right it is so simple I tried to over complicate it.

And you can add them all in one side and out the outher as you describe.

NM-Jeff

Pops

Oh, so cool!  Thanks Jeff.
I wonder why no one's done it in any books or magazines I've read so far.
Man, anything to not have to get under the table -  ;D

jward

Quote from: Pops on February 14, 2012, 01:15:36 AM
Oh, so cool!  Thanks Jeff.
I wonder why no one's done it in any books or magazines I've read so far.
Man, anything to not have to get under the table -  ;D

probably because they are too busy patting themselves on the back for being "experts" to actually think outside the box and experiment. at one time this hobby's magazines published some really innovative ideas, but not much anymore.

one thing to watch for, using your idea, is that the parallel sections  of your dogbone are actually opposite in "polarity" so simply running a jumper between the two sections will cause a short. you have to wire it so that the inner rails are connected to each other, the same with the outer rails.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

NarrowMinded

Hi jward,

Pops is using EZ track rerailer/feeders and the plugs so it will just be a matter of flipping a plug over and reinserting it as Jim mentioned.

I'm going to show my girls how to do this so they can add a couple to their set when they string it all over the house.

NM-Jeff

Pops

A basic ohm meter between the rails should tell me if I did it right or it needs to be flipped.

It feels really great to think I might have contributed something to this forum so soon.
::)

phillyreading

Hey Pops,
I like the photo of sgt. Hans Shultz from Hogan's Heroes that you inserted.

Lee F.

Pops

LOL - ya, I thought it was appropriate for me.  Besides being a fan of his, his tag line fits me perfectly - "I know nuthing."

:D   ???

Pops

OK - Mr. Bachmann (or anyone) -

Before I start cutting and soldering wires & plugs, Is there anyway to purchase a wire with the track plugs at each end?  Can't find any listing of them anywhere.  ???

If not available now, how about a new product from Bachmann?  I'd be glad to get the first few to "test" -  ::)  Short ones could be universal, and your current extension wire would work for longer reaches.  After all, you have all the parts, no tooling needed, just assembly.

Anyone have a few extra plugs/wires laying around that you'd like to donate to the cause?  :-*

;D

Doneldon

Pops-

You can purchase 10-foot extension wires with the Bachmann flat connectors on each end. (t least I think they are 10 feet long.) However, you'll pay an awful price per foot for them and sometimes you'll only need an extra couple of feet, not ten.So I suggest that you cut your existing red feeder wires and splice in whatever additional length you need. You'll save a ton of money with this simple trick. If you stagger the two splices you won't even have to insulate them from one another because they won't line up. Just use a single piece of shrink tubing, plastic electrical wire or tape.
                                                                                                                                                                     -- D

Pops

Thanks, but, I believe the ten foot extension does not have the same plug on each end.  I'd need the plug that goes to the track on each end.  As it is now, I'll need to purchase 2 wires to cut the track plugs off and splice.  And that would be for each jumper.

Plan B???

???