News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 60901 HO DCC-Equipped EMD SD40-2

Started by MR536, February 02, 2012, 07:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MR536

I have a concern on installing sound to these SD40-2's.   I just received 2 of these today and was wondering how much trouble would it be to add sound!  Having never did this before, I was concerned about the installation and what problems I may encounter.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Marv

bobwrgt

The big problem with most Bachmann diesel engines is a place to put a speaker.
In the cab maybe?

Bob

MR536

Bob

Thanks for the suggestion

The light bar for these units was not an issue as I installed SoundTraxx - Tsunami TSU-AT1000 Digital Sound Decoder - EMD 645...they recomend that I use a 1" dia speaker which if I placed it in the cab..I would need to knock out the windows on both sides...yikes....now I am back to where I started...

richg

Have you actually done any measuring? I have put 28mm speakers, 14mm x 25mm and 16mm x 35mm in HO scale diesels.
Do some research. There are many on line DCC suppliers with a variety of speakers available. Sorry to say it, but DCC sound is generally not plug and play.
I use Litchfield Station for most of my DCC supplies.

Rich

MR536

Rich

Thanks for your instructions on how to research.. ::)..I have been reading any and all ways to figure this out including contacting Soundtraxx.  Yes I know using a smaller speaker will work but my main concern is quality and performance.  I did not want to compromise either one for the sake of a smaller speaker.  If you have done these before....my compliments to you..this is the first time I had to rework this...but I will get it up and running in a few days.  Many thanks pal

Marv

richg

Quote from: MR536 on February 15, 2012, 12:47:59 AM
Rich

Thanks for your instructions on how to research.. ::)..I have been reading any and all ways to figure this out including contacting Soundtraxx.  Yes I know using a smaller speaker will work but my main concern is quality and performance.  I did not want to compromise either one for the sake of a smaller speaker.  If you have done these before....my compliments to you..this is the first time I had to rework this...but I will get it up and running in a few days.  Many thanks pal

Marv

Ok, now you included more info. First times with DCC and sound can be trying. Try this, try that. Many times, no quick answer.
I belong to about twenty forums and see many options for DIY sound and many take some time, even for experienced modelers. That is suppose to be the happy part of model trains.
I have never tried that particular loco. The diagram does not show quite as much detail as I would like to see. Sometimes you have to cut out some of the frame, hacksaw, Dremel with diamond cutoff wheel, belt sander or rotary bench sander. I have used all four.
Knowing what kind of baffle can help. Some diesel shelss do quite well as a baffle. Some need help.

Sometimes you have to be the first one to do a successful conversion and post photos for others to follow.

Below is a link about different types of speakers. Baffles speakes can be quite a discussion alone. Look at his different videos. Store the links in Favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGsDsTE05-Y&feature=related

I have no idea your level of DCC experience.

Rich

richg

If you remove some of he frame, strips of sheet lead or bird shot can be used to put weight back in. I use a metal that melts at the boiling point of water and make my own weights.

Rich

MR536

Rich

There is no need to chop up grind anything as I received a email from Soundtraxx with options...they advised me to use any speaker that conforms to an 8 ohm rating.....found 3 that will do the trick.  the smaller 0.56 mm fits the SD40-2 and it fits perfect.

Marv

MR536

Rich

Sorry for not including too much info....my experience in DC is limited...only have 49 years as I started as a kid....now 63 yrs old  :)  ....with DCC I have about 2 years...still more to go eh!

richg

Been there , done that. I am 70. Just many years of mechanical and electronic experience which helps.

Good to hear some results. No idea on how the sound quality will be.
I did a sound in a HO MDC Climax with the speaker up inside the cab firing down.
Made a small baffle and did a lot of fine tuning of the Tsunami Micro decoder equalizer for some decent sound. I think I used the same size speaker that was suggested.

Good luck. Hope you can post photos and experience of this install. I have had many, try this, try that experiences over the years. That is part of the fun for me.

Many times, Litchfield Station has had good suggestions and support, plus very good prices.

You might not have the below link but he use to own Litchfield until he retired. Look closely in Curriculum. He is still associated with Litchfield and they seem to specialize in SoundTraxx.

http://www.mrdccu.com/

Rich