News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

38 ton shay and Heisler engines

Started by dlb, February 16, 2012, 07:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlb

Does anyone know if there is a noise suppression capacitor on these engines?
I am having a problem with the Phoenix sound on dcc and Phoenix thinks it could be a
Noise suppression capacitor causing the problem. I would hate to take the engine apart for nothing.

The sound works great stopped but I lose sound function control once I start to move the engine.

David

Jon D. Miller

The 38 ton Shay has noise suppression built into the main circuit board.

The Heisler has noise suppression mounted in each truck.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

dlb

Thanks for the info.
Any idea about the Climax?

David

Jon D. Miller

Check the supplied wiring diagram for the Climax.  Noise suppression is located in the bunker.  It is integrated with the main circuit board.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

dlb

This shay has a circuit board in each truck that seems to be the problem.
Can I just bypass these components?  (3 capicators labeled 104 and two shrunk rapped
Components, diodes maybe) board labeled G821X PCBO5 REV.A.

David

dlb

I removed the 3 capacitors from each board and the problem is solved.

David

Tom Lapointe

David, what problem where you having with the Phoenix board specifically?  I have a P5 installed in my 38 tonner (& a 2K2 in an original Ely Thomas Lumber Co. #5 which I upgraded to the die-cast trucks).  The P5 for the most parts works fine, but I have a rather curious issue  ??? with it in that I can't always blow the whistle, particularly on certain segments of my railroad.  The 2K2 in the older Shay has no such problems.  ::)

Tom

dlb

My problem was that I could use the functions keys to control sounds when the engine
was stopped but as soon as I started the engine the function keys would not work.

The noise suppression capacitors were interfearing with the signal. I removed them and
the problem was solved.

Send an e-mail to Jim and John at Phoenix with your problem.  I have had good success
with them helping me out.

David