News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

BACHMANN The Yard Boss

Started by nscalefred, January 10, 2017, 12:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nscalefred

I recently purchased the Bachmann YARD BOSS set in N scale. My intention is to run it in a freight yard within a set of 4 parallel tracks which are connected together along the way but an oval is not part of the plan.

I have the track in place and the power connected and I can get the locomotive to start off at a pretty good pace but when it gets about 8 feet down the main line it just stops on its own.

I haven't tried it on an oval arrangement but I imagine it would do well there.

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong? The power seems to go only so far. Some of the curved track that came with the set are wired underneath and labeled A and A but none of the straight track is wired underneath.

thanks

nscale fred

brokemoto

There are a several possibilities.

1,  Check for misaligned rail joiners.  This problem is not uncommon when using sectional track, especially.  It can occur with flex, as well, but it has more opportunities with sectional.   Usually, the misaligned rail joiners cause derailments, but they can cause disruptions to electrical continuity.  You can buy an inexpensive volt meter.  Life-Like used to sell something even less expensive.  It was a basic continuity tester that had two wires and a light bulb.  You touched one wire to each track.  Next, you turned on the power.  If the bulb lit, you had continuity.  If it did not, you had a problem.   It is likely that you could find the continuity tester at shows or some dealers may have them as NOS.  There are inexpensive voltmeters out there, as well.  Several tool vendors sell them.  Try Micro-Mark.

2.  Make sure that the track is clean.  Various vendors sell track erasers.  They are not expensive.  B-mann might even sell one.

3.  Make sure that there is proper contact on all contact surfaces.  The front truck on this locomotive is live.  There are two wipers that make contact with the wheels.  On top of the wipers are two tabs that contact metal foil on the drawbar.  Make sure that the tabs are making contact with the foil on the drawbar.  You might have to bend them up slightly.  Do take care when you do this.  You might have to loosen the screw that holds on the front tender truck or undo it entirely.  Do take care not to let the wiper fall out and take care to re-assemble in the same way as you disassembled.  Make sure that both the foil and the tabs are clean.  There are contact posts on the locomotive.  Make sure that they are clean.   There is a pair of stiff wires at the leading edge of the drawbar,  Make sure that they are clean and are making proper contact with the posts on the locomotive.   You might have to bend in the stiff wires a bit.  TAKE EXTREME CARE WHEN YOU DO THIS.  THOSE STIFF WIRES ON THE DRAWBAR ARE EXTREMELY DELICATE.  They are affixed to the drawbar in a very delicate manner.  If you pinch them too hard, they could pop off the drawbar.  what I have done is grip them midway with a pair of needlenose pliers across the two wires, then pinch in, but WITH GREAT CARE.

The best solution for this one is to purchase a SPECTRUM tender from Bachmann (or from a vendor/dealer who has one).  The Bachpersonn SPECTRUM tender has all wheels live and a needlepoint axle pickup.  In addition, the use of the B-mann SPECTRUM tender will increase the pulling power of this locomotive.   The design of the stock front tender truck is such that it places a tremendous amount of drag on the locomotive.   In addition, half wheels live tenders have proved somewhat less than efficient at collecting current.   Use the SPECTRUM tender and you will have more pulling power and much better runnability as the electrical contact will be markedly improved.  If you will take a peak at Spookshow's website, he explains how to do the tender swap.  It is not difficult.

nscalefred

Thank you for the tips. I'll start checking my track section by section for misconnections from track to track.

brokemoto

I just learned that B-mann does sell a voltmeter and a track cleaning tool that uses pads.

The voltmeter is a rather simple thing that has three lights for high/medium/low voltage.

I am not sure if the track cleaning tool has abrasive pads or if you must use track cleaner with it.  Perhaps the B-Man can provide enlightenment.