News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc soundtraxx

Started by 2hi2cu2, February 16, 2012, 11:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2hi2cu2

hello everybody not sure if it been posted but my question is....i bought S4 DCC Erie #528 is it possible to upgrade this Loco to have soundtraxx or do i have to buy one that is equipped with the soundtraxx such as the S4 DCC #529 already installed,and if i can upgrade at a later time for the #528 what would be the stock number for the soundtraxx part...sorry for the question but it's been 40 years and now I'm just getting back into HO scale seen ...so much has change in the last 40 years.....

Rangerover1944

Hello and welcome, my opinion is to just buy it with sound installed especially if your just coming back after 40 years. For the price of under $100.00 with sound installed is really discounted about 50% compared to other manufacturers. The price of a good sound decoder without installing is the same price of the complete loco already installed.
I too am back for 7 years after being away from the hobby for 35 years. LOL I know what you mean about how the hobby has changed in those years. Unbelievable was my impression when I saw and heard my first sound equiped Loco in a hobby shop, but I was immediately hooked.
Do visit and read and learn and research and there are no dumb questions with DCC and all the variables and choices. LOL heck even the new DC analog engines run 1000% better than any I had stored and remember or used in the past. And most today are at least DCC ready. Just buy a decoder, plug her in, and have fun.
Jim

richg

I have not seen the inside of this new loco so no idea what will fit or what the speaker enclosure is like.
No idea on current draw at 12 VDC but I would suspect, guess, around 500 ma.
SoundTraxx has a shrink wrapped 1 amp decoders, a 750 ma shrink wrapped decoder and various light board type decoders.

Below is a link to SoundTraxx so you can get an idea on what is available since this is new to you.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/

A very good site for DCC & sound. Look in Curriculum. He use to own an on line DCC shop.

http://www.mrdccu.com/

Store all site in Favorites. A lot of DCC and sound is not plug and play. There is a learning curve to be climbed.

Rich

richg

Check the current at 12 VDC and post a couple photos of what the insides look like.
No telling when Bachmann will ever post the loco diagrams and the diagrams do not always look quite like what a photo shows.
Jonathan has done quite a lot when he showed the insides of his locos.

Rich

Rangerover1944

I don't know what prices you got, but I was on the Micro Mark site buying other goodies and came accross it there for the $98 sticker price:
http://www.micromark.com/bachmann-ho-standard-line-alco-s4-diesel-locomotive-with-sound-erie-no-529,10112.html

Like the other poster said there is a lot of DCC that is not plug and play and a lot of issues involved with especially adding sound. Because even plug and play doesn't include speakers, speaker placement can be a problem as well as speaker size and speaker enclosures. Most sites that sell sound decoders have a wide variety of speakers that may work

One final word on "buying this particular decoder", Bachmann has made a deal with Soundtraxx, from what I've read on other sites, for these particular decoders. So I'm not sure what is different from an original soundtraxx decoder. Maybe some functions are not available on it, maybe someone will enlighten us. But I've heard no complaints, on the contrary. Jim

2hi2cu2

Quote from: Rangerover1944 on February 16, 2012, 01:09:26 PM
Hello and welcome, my opinion is to just buy it with sound installed especially if your just coming back after 40 years. For the price of under $100.00 with sound installed is really discounted about 50% compared to other manufacturers. The price of a good sound decoder without installing is the same price of the complete loco already installed.
I too am back for 7 years after being away from the hobby for 35 years. LOL I know what you mean about how the hobby has changed in those years. Unbelievable was my impression when I saw and heard my first sound equiped Loco in a hobby shop, but I was immediately hooked.
Do visit and read and learn and research and there are no dumb questions with DCC and all the variables and choices. LOL heck even the new DC analog engines run 1000% better than any I had stored and remember or used in the past. And most today are at least DCC ready. Just buy a decoder, plug her in, and have fun.
Jim
Well decided to stick to what i bought S4 Erie #528 Paid 43.00 on Ebay,Highest bidder lucky me, with just the DCC..I think i can upgrade get the soundtraxx  for 23.00..My next purchase will be the #529 with the soundtraxx equip  ...i see the dollars signs now in this hobby this what ill be doing when i retire next year and still don't have a plan yet just buying stuff here and there and just getting ready for the big build.....thank God.... Bachmann HO Scale Train Alco S4 Diesel Loco DCC Ready Erie #528 63106   
Item picture    javascript:;   

2hi2cu2

Quote from: richg on February 16, 2012, 02:27:11 PM
I have not seen the inside of this new loco so no idea what will fit or what the speaker enclosure is like.
No idea on current draw at 12 VDC but I would suspect, guess, around 500 ma.
SoundTraxx has a shrink wrapped 1 amp decoders, a 750 ma shrink wrapped decoder and various light board type decoders.

Below is a link to SoundTraxx so you can get an idea on what is available since this is new to you.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/

A very good site for DCC & sound. Look in Curriculum. He use to own an on line DCC shop.

http://www.mrdccu.com/

Store all site in Favorites. A lot of DCC and sound is not plug and play. There is a learning curve to be climbepics of the inside when it arrivesd.

Rich
yes you got that right, away for 40 years there will be a learning curve but i'm a fast learner though,hey and thanks for the web site did keep in my favorites and will be visiting them often,I'll send pics of the inside when it arrives, can't wait.thanks again

2hi2cu2

Quote from: richg on February 16, 2012, 02:50:13 PM
Check the current at 12 VDC and post a couple photos of what the insides look like.
No telling when Bachmann will ever post the loco diagrams and the diagrams do not always look quite like what a photo shows.
Jonathan has done quite a lot when he showed the insides of his locos.

Rich
will do as soon as it come in.....not sure how to check the 12 VDC what every that means but i'll find out sooner or later....LOL.

2hi2cu2

Quote from: Rangerover1944 on February 16, 2012, 03:20:42 PM
I don't know what prices you got, but I was on the Micro Mark site buying other goodies and came accross it there for the $98 sticker price:
http://www.micromark.com/bachmann-ho-standard-line-alco-s4-diesel-locomotive-with-sound-erie-no-529,10112.html

Like the other poster said there is a lot of DCC that is not plug and play and a lot of issues involved with especially adding sound. Because even plug and play doesn't include speakers, speaker placement can be a problem as well as speaker size and speaker enclosures. Most sites that sell sound decoders have a wide variety of speakers that may work

One final word on "buying this particular decoder", Bachmann has made a deal with Soundtraxx, from what I've read on other sites, for these particular decoders. So I'm not sure what is different from an original soundtraxx decoder. Maybe some functions are not available on it, maybe someone will enlighten us. But I've heard no complaints, on the contrary. Jim

Hey man thanks for the info,Well i guess i have to with the trail and error thing.... i'll learn.... LOL