News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Changing from Rapido to magnetic couplers

Started by Ron Zee, February 16, 2012, 06:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franz T

Bachmann trucks are a "drop in " replacement. MicroTrains trucks will need the hole slightly enlarged since the "kingpins" on Bachmann truck bolsters a bit too large for the opening, (one more reason why I went to body mount couplers on my conversions)..

GoCanes

Love those Bachmann trucks with magnetic EZ Mates!  (I know I say that a lot, but it's true.  I love them  :) )

Ron Zee

Thanks guys!. Next stop, the hobby store!! (Maybe I should call them first,,,,,)

By the way, will the MT 1037 trucks work on these cars? If all I need is to do is enlage the mounting hole, I got tools for that. (I race R/C cars, lots of little tools to use!)

James in FL

The 1037's will work.
The 1035's will give you closer coupling and work just as well on most all Bachmann cars.
Whichever you choose, the bolster hole will need to be reamed to 9/64ths.

You may want to consider a transition car, (Rapido on one end and knuckle on the other), while you are converting.

Ron Zee

Sounds like a good idea about the transition car. Called the hobby store, they don't have Bachmann trucks in stock but they have the MT's. This is sort of odd to me as they have so much Bachmann stuff. Trains, cars, Plasticville, track, and switches. Of coure I got the "we can order it for you" line.

God, I'm starting to love e-Bay!

skipgear

The MT trucks are generally prefered over the Bachmann in the industry. Micro-Trains couplers and trucks have become the defacto standard for most clubs and large layout owners due to reliability. It's hard to get people to change away from something that has worked for many years. Many people will change a car to MT couplers and or trucks before it even hits the layout.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

Ron Zee

Thanks to all of you for the help. Now to start switching parts out.  ;D

Ron Zee

Although,,, there is an idea rolling around in my head of something simpler than switching anything. Maybe I should start fabricating and testing,,,,,  :o