News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Model 00634

Started by zeke2009, February 17, 2012, 08:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeke2009

I recently purchased a HO scale train by Bachmann but cannot find any information on it. Item #00634, Silver Star with figure 8 EZ track. Trying to determine the age.

Doneldon

zeke-

I assume you're hoping this out-of-production set is worth some money. It isn't. It's neither old enough nor desirable enough (you need both and very few train sets fit the bill) to get more than a few dollars on ebay. You may find someone who will go as high as $40-50 but half of that is more likely. Sorry, but that's a common story when it comes to older trains.
                                                                      -- D

zeke2009

Thanks D for the reply. Not looking to sell. I was just curious. I spoke with a fella at Bachmann service to see about getting the loco repaired. He ask me about the set and I told him what it was. He was not familiar with it.

richg

Good chance it has the older pancake motor if no one knows anything about it.
Bachmann has sold a wide variety of train sets over the years. I figure out it must be a diesel loco.
It sounds like you cannot get it to run.
Tell us more.

Rich

RAM

Bachmann HO American Silver Star HO Train Set. 8 Wheel Drive. Item #00634
This train is still in its original sealed box.  Santa Fe f unit with two cars and caboose.

zeke2009

Hi Rich, you are correct. This is a diesel locomotive and it will not move. The motor sounds as though it's running and the lights work but it will not move. I'm sending it in to the service department. For $15 they will repair or replace it. I picked the entire set up for $4 dollars at a Goodwill store.

richg

Quote from: zeke2009 on February 19, 2012, 12:32:01 PM
Hi Rich, you are correct. This is a diesel locomotive and it will not move. The motor sounds as though it's running and the lights work but it will not move. I'm sending it in to the service department. For $15 they will repair or replace it. I picked the entire set up for $4 dollars at a Goodwill store.

Sounds good. I looked at the eight wheel diesels and they look like decent motors. You will probably do ok with a replacement.
Don't know about the track though. Some sets come with the steel track which can get a little corrosion on it but can be cleaned up as some here have done it. If nickel silver track, much better track.
Let everyone here know how you are doing when you get the replacement loco.
Rich

zeke2009

Hi Rich, I'm not sure about the tracks material. I am impressed by the EZ track system though. Certainly it poses some issues trying to incorporate it into a layout with regular tracked trains but I'll figure it out.

I ran a Life Like brand loco on this track and it performed well except for in the x-crossing of the figure 8. I suspect that's where the eight wheel drive will shine. No temporary loss of power I would guess.

I'm really just a beginner at this. I bought my first train about 2 months ago to run around the Christmas tree. The bug has bit me I guess. I'm probably jumping the gun here and looking further forward than I should be but curiosity gets the best of me at times.

I've seen some awesome layouts on Youtube and one of the first questions i had was how do they run more than one loco at a time and just how many cars does the average loco have the ability to pull.